Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

98 Octane in Nsr

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ilovemynsr150sp, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Hi guys, just a simple question. can i put 98 fuel in my nsr that recommend 95? Thanks

2. Yes. Does it run with standard 91 ULP or does it detonate?
  3. haha i would call it a close call to detonating on 91. runs like crap on 91 :LOL: thanks for your reply mate :)
  4. I doubt that a nsr would detonate on 91, unless u have modified the head volumes.
    you can put in 98 theoretically should give better performance, and a lighter wallet
  5. and better fuel economy
  6. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As if fuel economy with 150cc 2 stroke is an issue or a concern

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  7. Lighter wallet yes, better performance no.

Higher octane fuels do not make more power on their own (and in fact contain a bit less energy than lower octane fuels).

It's the other way around - a hotly-tuned engine, with high compression ratio, ludicrous ignition timing advance or high boost, may require higher octane fuels to run without damaging itself. The fuel isn't what's making the extra power. It's the 13:1 compression ratio, the 55-60 degrees of ignition advance or the turbocharger the size of God making the power.

The confusion, I think, comes from many modern cars being designed to run on 95/98 octane but having the ability to de-tune their ignition timing to protect themselves if they're fed low-octane fuels. People see "more octane = more power" and the misunderstanding spreads.