Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'97 ZZR250 rebuild / replace motor

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by brownyy, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hey all;

Story short I need to replace or rebuild my motor. My bike mechanic mate says the left cylinder rod is dead (bearings?). He said it would be cheaper to replace the motor then to pull apart the existing one and repair etc because the damage inside is unknown.

I was advised that a wreckers in melbourne somewhere (forgot the location they told me) swap dead engines for working ones. My question is; what stays on the motor when you swap it??

Carby's? coolant lines (rigid or hose)? sensors / wires? starter motor? sprocket?

I also found a motor on a classifieds site, that said the motor was fine with a blown gearbox. Is it worth getting such a motor and replacing the gear internals or too much time and effort?

Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
  2. not worth replacing swaping the gearbox
    u can pick up a zzr/gpx whole bike for 300$ crash write off
    Motor will set u back 300-1000
    everything comes of the motor u get from the wrecker althou it does wary a bit
  3. yeah best of getting a write off and then you will have other usable bits.