Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

97 GSXR 600 - 520 Chain & Sprocket Conversion

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by sarj, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Hi,

Anyone have experience with changing the gear ratio on their bike? How much performance increase will I get? Is it true that due to Noise and Power restriction Regulations, bikes straight from the factory tend to under-perform?

I have been looking into getting a 520 conversion kit for my Gixxer since my chain and sprockets are due anyway. eBay has cheap kits avaialble (even after postage from the States)

Will I need to adjust my speedo calibration? Is a 'speedo healer' really required?
  2. The 600 will perform much better, even when downgeared only slightly.

For starters I would drop one tooth from the front sprocket, that way you can keep the standard chain length, handy for when you're ordering replacements. You'll notice a fair increase in performance just by doing this.

You get what you pay for when it comes to quality in chains and sprockets. A good xring chain will last more than 20,000 km's if looked after. The same can't be said for cheaply sealed chains.

You'll only need a speedo healer if the speedo is driven from the front sprocket/gearbox. I'm not sure where the cable is driven from on these. If it's from a wheel then you'll be fine.