Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

96 Yamaha XTZ660 not starting... :(

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bonsai, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Yesterday I had a run of bad luck with the bike.....

I went to turn it on in the morning and it only just turned on after a bit so I'm guessing the battery (which is Lithium-ion) was weak as it is. I've had quite a bit of trouble with this battery which is surprising considering it's Li-ion and not that old.
    I drove it to the petrol station and refilled the tank and then it wouldn't turn on at all. It turned over a couple of times before the battery was dead and the lights wouldn't even turn on.
    Then I jump started it from a car but made the awful mistake of connecting the jumper leads in reverse which threw a huge spark and cooked a fuse, which I replaced.
    Then I eventually got it running from the car, though the car was switched on at a point while the bike was hooked up.
    I drove it home and parked it in the garage and I've charged the battery overnight and all day today. The battery shows full charge on it's inbuilt charge indicator. When I turn the bike on the lights are pretty dim and though the neutral indicator lights up it wont turn over and doesn't make any sound at all when you press the ignition.
    I don't know if it was a stupid idea but even with my little 12 volt (max) battery charger connected to the bike nothing happens when it is turned on, though the lights shine brighter....

So have I cooked some other component when mistakenly connecting it to the car in reverse polarity, connecting it with the car running, or connecting it with a battery charger connected?
    I'm fearing the worst but hoping for the best.