Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

96-HP Carbon-Fiber Electric Motorcycle

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by hackavatar, Jul 31, 2012.

1. These Kids Are Building a 96-HP, Carbon-Fiber Electric Motorcycle

Student-motorcycle-660x419.

Without starting the old "Electric motorcycles just aren't practical enough to use every day yet" debate, here's a new one to look at. Didn't see a thread for it, thought I'd start one.

The whole frame is made from carbon fibre stuff, weighing 25KG. That's pretty cool.

2. add lights indicators etc and the night time range is probably 30 km

3. Sigh one post till the misinformation starts.

No it wouldn't, it has 6kwh, how much current do you think lights take?

I do like the tail, I didn't realise that the current trend of tiny is less aerodynamic. I hope manufacturers go back to bigger tails as they are better for pillions and give back some underseat storage.

4. Not sure whether they're talking about the tail pictured. If you want an idea of an aerodynamic tail, look at a Haybusa with a seat cowl.

A nice little bike, and a great student project, but not really groundbreaking. I wonder why they went with an enclosed driveshaft?

5. There's plenty of storage in the fuel tank..it's not like there is any petrol in it.
    Why do they design electric bikes with fuel tanks??

6. I meant for all bikes. The current trend of small tails is silly

You put fuel tanks on so you can grip it. the bikes with underseat fuel tanks have a faux tank as well.

7. Yup, these days, with LEDs you can light the thing up like a Christmas tree for maybe an extra 10-15 Watts on top of the headlamp (which, for the sake of argument, let's assume is a standard 55W unit, which I doubt if it would be by the time the bike is in production) so maybe 70W total for lighting, with indicators and brake light on.

If we assume you cover the bike's full range in 1 hour, that 70W represents 1.2% of your battery capacity going to lighting rather than movement.

Negligible.

8. Because chains are rubbish. :bolt:

Seriously, though, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if an enclosed shaft drive running in ideal conditions, is marginally more efficient overall than an exposed chain, which only gives its peak efficiency when new, correctly adjusted and properly lubed. A state of affairs that applies for ~15 minutes and then deteriorates progressively thereafter.

I'm not entirely convinced that belts are much better, either, with energy lost through hysteresis from bending and straghtening the belt a thousand times a minute.

9. Turn it into a boot, like the Across...functional :D. Although they probably have things under there, like control unit, charging system or even some batteries (I think majority of the batteries would be as low as possible though).

10. I was under the impression for some time now that chain drive is THE most efficient drive method bar none. Happy to be proven wrong.

Chains are very noisy though....from a motorbike (and from memory when ADB tested a dirt bike) the chain emitted the MOST noise over the engine AND exhaust...!!

11. I believe enclosed chain is the most efficient (though is ugly so is unpopular), and too heavy.

12. Under ideal conditions this is true. A motorcycle chain does not operate under ideal conditions. Once some wear, contamination and slackness come into the picture, I suspect that things are less clear cut. Deterioration can be minimised, but it can't be eliminated entirely.

Hence my comment about possible overall greater efficiency of the shaft drive, overall meaning over the life of the bike or at least the life of the average chain. It might not be the case, but I can't see the designers deliberately handicapping their creation with a less efficient drive than is possible.

Personally I'd have gone with a fully enclosed chain in an oil bath, which gets close to the ideal but I guess having a litre of the black stuff sloshing around and potentially getting past seals is rather against the ethos of an e-bike.

13. Put on A set of quite low friction tyres...
    How many pedestrians could you take out in a day........:)