Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'96 Hornet - Will not start - Electrical.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by micx0r, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

My 96 Hornet will no longer start, or even give me any lights on the dash. It has always started and ran perfectly fine until yesterday - after it experienced a bit of rain - it just did not start.

I've pulled the battery out andhad it tested and it's ok, ignition feels ok too..

Any ideas where to look next?
  2. Try check the battery terminals and check for corrosion. Sandpaper will fix surface corrosion. :D
    Also check the earth lead is grounded properly......
  3. Do you have ANY elecrical activity at all? You say no lights on the dash, what about horn, indicators, etc?
  4. THanks mate.

Battery terminals appear AOK.. will check the earth lead. So weird though for it to be full of life and then dead.
  5. No electrics at all.. totally dead.

I push started it with a mate and it was sounding like it was running on one cylinder - did not want to run.
  6. Mods, please hide this thread, Hornets never break down and it's bad for morale for it be suggested, much less reported :LOL:
  7. 1) Battery terminals (clean?...coat with vaseline to stop corrosion)
    Check negative lead-to-chassis/ engine connection and clean.
    2) If 1) ok, trace the main-feed from battery into fuse-box, check ALL fuses
    3) If 2) ok, trace the feed to the ignition switch, check switch for output when in ON position.
    4) if 3) ok....I'm stuffed on how to go from here :oops: :oops:

Tools needed...some spanners/ screwdriver/ basic stuff....and a 12V tester of some sort (tester-screwdriver with globe/ multimeter ...)
  8. Yep.. I just swapped the battery over to a friend of mines and all the electrics and starter etc are working fine.

Perhaps despite the battery test passing, it's still stuffed. I think it's flooded from the push starts so with the known good battery in it I will try and start it a little later.
  9. OK, so replace the battery AND the voltage regulator. It's not cheap, but if the battery's gone phut it's because the regulator is already stuffed. If you put in a new battery and don't change the regulator, you'll get about a week of riding before the new battery also goes flat.
    Regulator costs around $170 from memory.
  10. Well, if you want a Hornet to fire up, attach the battery cables to his testicles..... He will soon fire up.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry Paul, could not resist..... :LOL: :LOL:
  11. You know that coffee I was going to buy for you, and that blueberry cheescake at that coffee shop in Corrimal street........................?
  12. hmmmmmmmmmmmm blueberry cheese cake.....yuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy

OK, OK, I know how to start up a 1957 Hornet :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  13. please, a 1949 Hornet!!!
  14. Thanks guys..

I'll let you know if it starts normally later. If it doesn't still then I'll know it's the voltage regulator..
  15. It's all your imagination mate. You never really HAD a Hornet. But keep on dreaming.
  16. Wow there big boy.

It could be heaps of things.

Undo the right hand switch assembly. Dry it out and spray some WD40 about. Now clean it up and inspect. Make sure there are bear wires.

If that doesn't work check all the electrical connection, particully the ones to the back of the instruments and the one to the righ handle bar. Clean and WD40 etc also.

After that you can start thinking about voltage regulators. Maybe.
  17. All good advice, but my BMW definitely doesn't have any bear wires. Does this mean I can't get an after-market bear for my bike?
  18. Naw, you gotta buy crododile-clamps.... :LOL: :LOL:
  19. But won't they gobble up your chicken strips?