Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

96? CBR 900 919 edition Gearbox question

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by VTRAffair, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Mate picked it up for 1500 bucks. it rides well in all gears except 2nd.

In 2nd at cruise throttle, its ok, but power on and it skips out and makes a grinding noise.

Any Ideas what it is, ie, selector, or 2nd itself is shagged. Is it common?

How do the gearboxes come apart in these, can you slide the whole thing out and replace, or do you have to rebuild the guts?

I'm clueless on gearboxes, so any help appreciated.

2. It's probably likely to be just the second gear set and the dog teeth at that. The selector may be worn also, so it's a good idea to replace that too.

I don't know if these are cassette style gearboxes. I doubt it. So that means it's a significant job.

The parts should be $300-400 (big guess), so if you can do the work yourself you could have a cheap bike. It is, however, a fairly labour intensive job, so if someone else has to do it it's going to cost a fortune.

That is of course if it isn't a cassette style box.
  3. Sounds like it's been wheelied to death. +1 ibast - and I don't think it's a cassette gearbox either.