Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

95 Virago 250 - engine dies when you open the throttle.Help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tirian, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Heya,

Had an interesting "outage" on my bike today. It ended with me pulling over, unable to accellerate but the engine still idling OK (sorta).

I think perhaps it started a week back when it seemed that I had to use the choke for longer (on cold mornings) to stop the bike stalling when I went out to work. Normally I'd have the choke on while i get my helmet and gloves on and have it turned off by the time I ride to the end of our street. But I noticed that the bike started to get sluggish pulling away - a real "damp" spot in the accelleration before it would kick in. It seemed to get worse and sometimes going out of a corner as I would open up the throttle the bike would actually slow down and not respond for a few seconds.

Out of "randomness" I tried using a little choke and it seemed to "fix" the symptom. But then I noticed my bike then seemed to struggle not to stall when idle unless there was a bit of choke on.

Then finally tonight, entering a roundabout the bike just refused to accellerate away. The bike was idling ok (albeit with choke on) but whenever I opened the throttle the revs would just fall to the point the engine would die. I noticed that when moving the choke lever backwards and forwards that the cable wasn't pulling back and it became so slack that i could move the end of the cable cover out of the little housing it sits in.

Anyway, I managed to get a lift home and went back with a trailer and managed to get the bike home. I am wondering whether I should just take the bike down to Yamaha and hand over whatever the prescribed $$$ will be (I guess about $200 for a standard service plus whatever the issue is) or whether anyone could advise anything for me to check first? It is not really due for a service so if you think there might be something easy enough to look at myself I'd really appreciate it.

2. The initial problem may well have been moisture or some other contamination in the fuel system which you've been able to "band-aid" by richening the fuelling with the choke.
    It's been very common this Winter. (The crap fuel I mean).
    I'd say the enrichener mechanism is now stuck open and the plugs have fouled.

Trace the cable down and see if you can manually push in the choke plunger. Maybe some Inox or WD40 might free it.
  3. Yep, thanks. I managed to free up the the choke cable. Your guess was spot on - plugs are fouled - that is an easy enough job to do myself. Thanks for the help.

4. Cool. Glad I could help.

I'm going off now to drink loads of beer. :grin:
  5. And THAT my friends is what NR if for :LOL:

(not useless posts like this one :rofl: )