Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

95-97 Yamaha Varago. Info needed please

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Zugfrig78, May 29, 2008.

1. Ok going for my L's on the 9th and 10th of June. Started looking and have decided on the Yamaha Varago. It seems a popular choice for noobies (like a P Plater getting a Commodore i suppose) Got 3k to spend on the bike (got the gear, helmet ect). Can anyone tell me good or bad points on this make/model to look out for. Also does anyone know the difference between the xv250 and the xv250 s. They seem to be in seperate categories on the bike sales site? Any help would be great.

2. They are very solid and reliable, unless someone has treated them like absolute garbage.

The XV250s was the Virago between 94-2001 and just means the bike has the button-look seat and 2-colour paint. All other years of the Virago 250 were XV250. There is no price difference between these two, just age/km's/condition.

Do NOT get confused with "XVS-250 V-star" which is a different bike and
    more expensive.

3. Great bike, and looked after is bullet proof.

Rude question but for the sake of helping better: what height and weight are you?

4. This is one of the bikes on my list but i weigh around 96kg - would the bike have trouble carrying this load?

5. For carrying your weight it's as good as most 250s, and better than a number of them. THere are LAMS bikes its worth considering, given your weight, though if you want something that's not too old for $3000 then the XV250 is a good way to go and I think you'll be happy learning on it, but if you stick with bikes you'll probably want to move on (Viragos keep their resale value anyway). As I say, there are also middle-weight LAMS bikes - my partner just bought a Suzuki GR650 (LAMS approved) for $1500, though among the older bikes its especially good to get them checked out by somebody who knows bikes. You might just find a Virago XV535! THat would be a nice bike...

6. I think some of the S models only had a single seat, so if you ever plan to carry a pillion it might be worth avoiding those.

7. Thanks for the help so far..........i'm 5'11'' and 85kgs

8. You should be fine. I was that weight and travelling all over the countryside on my SR185; but because of that type of riding I quickly wanted a bigger bike. If its just for commuting and city riding the bike might be a keeper; if you want to tour out of Melbourne you might find a 250 a bit under-powered after a short time - there's a reason LAMS is a good idea!

Another bike to look at is the Kawasaki EL250 Eliminator. Excellent engine from the Kawasaki GPX250. (If it were me, I'd prefer the Virago.)