Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

94 zzr 600 starting probs ATTN elec gurus

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Wypuk, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Hey everyone
    i got a 94 zzr which is very tempremental and is not starting

i got a new battery, tested the voltage of it running 12.5v and stopped. (i had to push it and its bloody heavy :p)

my dads friend ascertained that the starter relay is dead and thats cool im gonna buy a new one

the prob is that the battery is not charging. he tested the wires coming off the alternator to the regulator rectifier and he is getting 10.5 om (or volts not sure) so my question is this:

what alternating voltage should be between alternator wires (is it possible to measure it on the reg.rectifier on the 3 yellow wires) is it supposed to be 10.5 or higher?

the reg rectifier has SH650a - 12 stamped on it

He reckons it should be higher coming off the alternator (16ish at least) and from the reg/rec it should pump out a constant number like 14.5 or something smaller.

can anyone give me an idea of the numbers or maybe an idea wtf this all means :oops:

ive disconnected the reg/rec and i'll enquire at kawa dealers if theycan test it but id like to know what other people's opinions are so plz help out the electrically illiterate
  2. Those numbers are all telling you something, and what they are saying is that you need to replace the voltage regulator because it's not re-charging the battery. Mine for the Hornet cost around $165, but if you do a search for 'regulator' you'll find a thread or two about the problem. I recollect that a couple of folk have found a cheaper, generic solution.
  3. You should have at least 14.2 volts et the battery at 3000 rpm. If not, regulator or alternator. Perhaps a broken wire
  4. Bump :evil:

ive tried it all :(
    the battery has been recharged all the connections have been taken apart and jiggled and still nothing is working
    i get a click from the relay but the engine doesn't turn over. im puffed out koz ive been trying to push start it but to no avail....

is it just me or is it starting to sound like coil? is there any way which i can test it out?

if no solution can be found i guess im going to give the bike to brighton kawasaki and put my kidneys up on ebay... :shock: :shock: :shock:
  5. Yep. get the new reg, 14 2 or sometimes higer will do.
  6. HA HA i got progress :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

i put it all together AGAIN today and pressed the start button... clickety click

then i got dad to press it and i shorted the starter relay with a screwdriver, it kicked over and stalled 3 times then i adjusted idle speed and it didnt die WOOOPEEEEe

so anyway i had my first ride on it in 2 weeks, just up and down the street but hey its worth it.

i guess it was the starter relay all along :) :) im gonna buy one and forget my problems for a while hehehehe

any ideas how muh they cost?
  7. a lot of things charge the batt vier the relay , most likely your prob is the relay and needs a long ride to fix up the battery
  8. You should be getting 14 or 15 volts across the battery terminals at a couple of thousand revs. If you dont, its not charging and you'll be back to square one pretty quick. Check the charge again before you're stuck on the side of the road. You know cruiser riders wont stop! :p