Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

94 VFR750, tell me about them please

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by huplescat, Oct 7, 2009.

1. I'm going to look at a 94 VFR750 on the weekend and if everything checks out will hopefully buy it.

Can anyone tell me what they're like to own? What to look for in terms of things that tend to go wrong? And what are the servicing costs like compared to other bikes?

Everyone I've spoken to says they're great bikes and very reliable which sounds good. This one's done a lot of K's, but I've been told they just don't die so that's not worrying me (much).

Any info would be much appreciated :)

2. You've come to the right place, brother. The 4th Generation VFR's (RC36, "Testarossa") ran from 1994-late 1997 when they were replaced with the fuel injected VFR800. Many regard the 750 as the pinnacle of the model range, combining lighter weight and better handling with racer-inspired styling and simplicity of servicing.

I've owned 3 750's and I've been delighted with them all. In fact, I'd still have my original one if it weren't for a diesel slick on Macquarie Pass.

What to look out for:

1. Mileage, as you have already noted, is not really an issue. My mechanic services VFR's with 300000+ kms on them and the motor is still strong and reliable. What is important is condition, and that can be easily determined.

2. Servicing costs. I do my own oil and filter every 6000kms religiously, as this is the key to lonegvity. I use Motul 5100 oil as do many VFR owners. 4 litres of oil and a filter will set you back around $75. I've replaced my air filter with a K&N serviceable one ($100) and I expect not to have to ever replace it again. The motor will go for years without any need of major service. For example, my red bike was bought at 85000 and was written off at 163000 and I'd never replaced the spark plugs in that time!! As long as valve clearances were done properly at the first service, you'll probably not need to look at them again.

Try to get a servicing record if you can. An owner who has kept a service history is always worth buying off if it comes down to a choice between a number of bikes.

3. Issues. The only major reliability issue with the VFR (and most Hondas of its age) is the regulator/rectifier. These were/are a notoriously unreliable piece of kit fitted to many Hondas and they fail often. They cost about $200 to replace with an after-market one and they won't cause you problems again. The R/R is located on the right hand side chassis rail under the seat. You can see if when you take the seat off. If the R/R on the bike you're looking at has big fins on the top then it has already been replaced (most would have been by now anyway, but it pays to check).

Apart from that just the normal. Fork seals, brake pads, etc.

Summary. The VFR750 won Cycle Guide's "Bike of the Year" for 3 straight years during its model run. It's THE all-round performer, equally at home for a 700+km day of touring, a quick blat down the shops or a spirited attack on the twisties.

If the bike has a good service history, is in good overall condition and is around $4000-$5000, then go for it. You won't be disappointed.

BTW, the majority of 750's sold in Australia were red, but it looks great in any colour!
  3. VFRs are fantastic bikes but I will add a little caveat to your statement regarding spark plugs. Good on you for not having to change yours cause they really are a b!tch to access, especially on front cylinders. For some reason I don't understand, spark plugs on my VFR fouled when using gas from Shell, so you gotta be careful to refuel with premium from some other brand such as Caltex, BP or Mobil.
  4. Voltage regulators go on them (like many Hondas), often enough to justify having a spare set aside. Occasional problems with temperature sensor/switch. Gearboxes are strong but wear out before the motor so make sure it is working well, as a rebuild could be a deal breaker.
  5. Thanks heaps, everyone I've asked about these bikes says such great things :grin:

rc36 thanks for the big write up too. I'll post back here to update if the bike checks out, fingers crossed that it does as it look fantastic.
  6. another bike to put on my 'look at' list :)
  7. There is now a very shiny black beast sitting in my garage :grin: Rode it back for the 1 1/2 hour trip home and I'm really happy with it.

The big grin says it all:

8. congrats, good choice.
  9. Whoohooo, a gloss black. Fantastic. May I suggest a set of orange coloured rim stickers. Definitely helps to lift the blackness.

To say that I approve would be an understatement.

Mine is the one in the background!!
  10. Hey RC do you like VFR750's?
  11. Very nice! The splash of colour does work well, I'll look into some :)

The paint work is really, really good for a 15 year old bike. It's been crashed before so I guess it's probably been resprayed or given new fairings at some point, but the guy I bought it off looked after it really well too. Just some scuff marks where it's obviously been dropped in the past, but not noticable unless you're looking for them.

I got a list of "stuff that's wrong with it" which is all pretty minor, it'll go in for a road worthy next week and hopefully there won't be any surprises. From what we could see the fork seals need to be replaced as well as the bearings in the steering (forgot what they're called). It only had one done 8,000km ago and the chain, disks, brake pads and tyres are almost new so fingers crossed it won't cost more than a few hundred.

'nother photo from my friend who came along, damn it looks good :D

12. Great. Get the fork seals done ASP. If you allow the fork oil to leak down the fork tubes it makes its way to the brake calipers and rots the brake pad material and then you're up for brake pads as well. Look after regular servicing (filter and oil every 6000kms, I use Motul 5100) and it will pay you in the long run.

Oh, and join ozvfr.net

And yes, Envy-t I do like vfr's. I've had 3 750's and an 800. The other bike in the picture I posted is one that I saw heading through my town the other day and we had to stop and take a picture of our identical (almost) bikes.

I might have missed it, but how many k's has the bike done?
  13. Yep, definitely :) They're not leaking very much so I think the brake pads are safe for now, but will need to be done to get a RWC so that'll happen as soon as I can book it in. Hopefully next week.

It's done 94,000. I'll be pedantic about servicing it regularly as I want it to be as reliable as possible and keep it for a while. It needs a service asap too as it's been up and down a dirt road a lot and the air filter is full of dust. I'll get as much done on it as I can while it's being assessed for the road worthy.