Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

90% of drivers would consider an autonomous car if it cut insurance rates

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Nov 7, 2013.

  1. For the sake of not clicking on links
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I for one welcome our new robot overlords.
    Bring on the auto car, it will make motorcycling much safer knowing that cars won't do something dumb.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. So no real change, drivers will masturbate and eat breakfast less and sleep more.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  4. But... will the 90% tolerate the other 10% having fun at their expense? And potentially costing them money or threatening their safety?

    TBH I think that before this becomes widespread, other forces will restrict mobility to mass public transit.
  5. I find the cars I can afford to own are boring to drive. I haven't owned a car since 1996.

    Now given that I very rarely drive (when I'm in a car it is usually in the passenger seat) then I couldn't give a rats arse about self driving computer controlled cars. I care so little I haven't bothered to read the article.
  6. I can't see much changing.

    When most traffic is in orderly computer controlled lines, important people will override the computer and take advantage of everyone else moving predictably to push their BMW or SUV ahead of everyone else.
  7. I'd happily have my car drive me to and from work - the commute is boring as batshit on/in anything other than a bike.
  8. I suspect much like cars that park themselves now, this will come to pass and at the rate technology is going probably in our life time.

    Will it be better well that is a question the still needs to be answered.

    It's not all that long ago when the majority of cars were manual and you had to pay at least some attention to what you were doing.......
  9. Goes to show what we already know - most drivers on the road pay fcuk all attention to actually driving....
  10. I don't get it, for 80% off their insurance I bet "90% of people would consider the idea " of drinking out of the toilet too, that doesn't make it something they want though.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I would happily take an autonomous car for the peak hour slog. I might even nearly enjoy traffic if I could sleep through it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sounds good to me.

    Take the control of the vehicle away from Jane Doe doing her make up & John Doe perving on Jane on the way to work can't be a completely bad idea.
  13. Heck, I would welcome an autonomous car, period! Truth is, driving a car in Sydney is no longer any pleasure at all - it's a chore that I would be perfectly happy to be rid of.
  14. It should be a major concern to us because the real issue here is how well would they share the road with motorcycles, if there were problems with detecting and anticipating motorcycles then I could see us being legislated off the roads.
  15. #16 cjvfr, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    I didn't want to start a new thread on autonomous vehicles so I have resurrected this one. Below is the latest Google autonomous vehicle.

  16. Well I guess Ubers reign in the spotlight will be short lived. Cant wait to have my car come pick me up from the pub.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Glitter bombs anyone?
  18. it's just not going to be the same when someone smashes a glass at the pub.. and everyone yells "autonomous car"... :(
    • Funny Funny x 3
  19. It'd be terrifying if 90% of people were in autonomous vehicles.
    That 90% might decide they don't like people with free will on their roads.
    • Agree Agree x 1