Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

90 degree turns

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wingsout, Nov 20, 2008.

1. hey all, (sorry for long post but need some help)

just looking for some advice...

i would like somebody to pretty much walk through how to take a 90 degree (side street...left turn) corner from a 60km/h road :) as im sure im doing it very wrong!! :oops: or do i just have to trust the rubber?

-------problems i face-----

when to down shift?? (and which gear, as sometimes my rear tyre kicks every so slightly)
    how to not run wide?? (i use a combination of lean + push left go left) is this correct :shock:
    how to avoid getting hit up the ass by the travelling car/bus/truck??

any advice would be great... as i feel like im in danger doing it my way (very very slow and still run wide)

thanks alot in advance,

2. I lean right over, ride the clutch a bit, use the throttle to pull the bike back up
  3. Where do you live? Perhaps you need to spend some time working on fundamentals in a carpark session with somebody.
  4. how to avoid geting hit by the vehicle behind you: indicate well before your turnoff. tap the brakes a few times to flash the brake lights before you actually apply the brakes.

brake, change down gears, down to either 2nd or 3rd depending on your bike. on my VTR250, it doesnt matter which, as i have plenty of torque down low. you may need to go down to 2nd, being and an inline 4. just get in a gear capable of smoothy taking the corner and accelerating out of the corner. change down gears BEFORE you begin the turn, as u are braking.

how not to run wide: brake enough that you can take the corner safely. then just countersteer into the corner. i usually lean my body with any corner, just a habit, but it doesnt matter really. pointless getting off GP style, just turn in, and throttle out :) if you are running wide, then you are entering the corner too fast for your current cornering abilities. 90 degree corners dont allow for anywhere near the same speeds as smooth radius corners, and you're in suburbia, not the twisties, so just slow down, and take it easy :)

as Loz said, suggest you go find a nice empty carpark either late at night, or a sunday morning or something, and have some practice. take some little plastic marker cones and make your own corners, etc. jsut be careful of some carparks, have a look first, as quite often, there will be oil/scum patches everywhere, from cars that have parked in the spots and dropped their guts over time.

practice makes perfect :)

5. thank for your input guys

i think im just getting ahead of myself as i have only been riding 2-3 weeks and i think its just pratice and getting used to the bike that will satisfy me... i just feel like im really slow around corners yet still run wide sometimes... just gotta trust the rubber :p

great idea loz i might try a carpark when i get a chance..

thanks guys just wanted to make sure that countersteering+leaning was correct... guess i just have to go slower and build up speed as my experience and skills get better ( just hate slowing up traffic :oops: :oops: )
  6. Don't be in a hurry mate, know when to push it, and know when to be gentle. Much like having a wife.
    Stay in your lane, focus on what you are doing and see if you can correct your own errors. Riding motorcycles can become very analytical...especially when Rob starts dusting off the physics books.
    For now, focus on making your corners smooth, and worry about speed later.
    The best lesson you can learn about cornering, in the most bastardised terms, is to remain smooth.
    And, if you can find one of the old heads around here (Robsalvv, Loz, Raven, [FLUX] etc. to name a few) get them to come for a quick run with you, and try your best to ride as you normally would. Sometimes it is the simplest minor error, that they will pick up, that will make you think "WTF was i thinking trying to do it like that??"
  7. turn your head like you're a big f^%$ing owl. really exaggerate it.
  8. Not only are you new to road riding you probably are new to the road full stop!
    You'll learn heaps from watching others who are "street smart".
    Ask for a mentor and you will be offered plenty of assistance.

Joel has nailed it in more ways than 1 :applause:
  9. echo on the owl, look look look look look!!

you will go where you look, if you do it in every single corner it will become habit. force yourself to do it, get the shoulders going also.
  10. been driving for 2 years so not THAT new to the road..

i think thats the problem..time to be an OWL..im more looking at the white centre line thinking eeeeeek dont cross it (because there is a soccer mum in her 30000 tonne shiny tractor)

cheers :)
  11. If you look at it then you are more likely to target fixate and screw it up. Look where you want to be, not where you are going.

Oh yes - countersteer, countersteer, countersteer... :LOL:
  12. When looking into the corner, like twistngo said, make sure you turn your head and not just looking with your eyes.........eg. point and lean with your chin where you want to go.

practice, practice, practice

Cheers :)
  13. I have the same issue. I feel like i am crawling around corners.

I would say I get around the corner about 20-30kmh? i feel it should be quicker, but get uneasy about pushing it too quick around the corner? Should we just lean more and accelerate?
  14. 20 or 30 km/h doesn't seem too bad for a suburban, 90-degree bend, especially when you often can't see around the corner until you're right on top of it.

Personally, as much as I love keeping the speed up through turns, you won't find me doing it into side streets in suburbia. That's just inviting pain upon myself. :p
  15. other thing to consider in burb's unlike country twisty riding is that, corners aren't always built correctly (well they are but i mean camber changes mid corner) for the turn, some are flat, others have different cambers as you change from street to street, also consider anywhere a car might stop at a cross road etc, there is a good chance there will be a build up of oil in the centre part of the road, all just more things to consider as you cut your way throw back roads :wink: