Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

89' Ducati 900SS, first real ride

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by incitatus, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Well folks, I went for my first real ride on the my new 'toy' yesterday through the hills of Perth. Previously I had only ridden it back to it's new home, about 10 min's worth.

First observation was that it's tall, I am 5'8" and can just touch the ground with one toe. I intend to have the seat 'scooped' at the front to allow me to sit more 'in' the bike. Second observation is the sound, oh my Dog, the sound. It has genuine Ducati Corse race cans and they really growl, I'm sure I noticed the tenants turn their heads as I passed the cemetary!

The gearchange is very sweet, every bit as slick as the best Jap, the clutch is feather light and the throttle is also surprisingly light considering it is pulling two farking great Keihin flatslides. I am not sure the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro SC tyres are street legal, I thought they were racing tyres, but my Dog, do they grip! (at least they will for the 1,000k's they will probably last).

This is a bike that handles like it was bred to race, which of course it was, the only major flaw (on the road), is the hideously hard non-adjustable front-end, something which I may fix with 916 stanchions in the future. I sought out my fave stretch of twisties, and felt instantly comfortable with the handling. Unfortunately I was not so comfortable physically, the Spanish inquisition could have done with a few of these. After an hour I was doubled over in agony from the extreme riding position, I have ridden several of the latest Jap sportsbikes and they are armchairs compared to this evil bastard. I hope lowering the seat will help here, but I'm not optimistic. You don't really notice when your riding so much, your kinda busy on this bike, but when you get off, you are in a world of hurt.

In spite of this I absolutely love this bike, it has real grunt, more in fact than the later 900SS models due to all the work done by VeeTwo on the motor. I don't know what it's churning out, but I would really like to put it on a dyno. The front brakes are from a 916SP and are just awesome, too awesome really, you can do stoppies with your little finger! They would be brilliant on a racetrack, but are frankly too snatchy for the road. I will be experimenting with different pad compounds to see if I can take a bit of bite out of them.

This is definitely not a bike you would travel any distance on, due both to the riding position, and the small 11 litre fuel tank, just enough for racing. 11 litres may have been reasonable with the original Webber twin choke, but with the flatslides gobbling fuel like it's going out of fashion definitely not. Sooo on balance I'm over the moon with this bike, and I'm also over to the physio.........

2. But the real question is:

How many Lattes had you had today??

Congrats man, sounds like heaps of fun. When will get piccies??

3. So what's your plan with it if it's unrideable for any length of time? Racetrack action? The odd Sunday blast? Or just an impractical-and-who-gives-a-shit toy?

4. Good question. I raced until I was 46, but that was about 10 years too long really. At my age now, racing is too silly for words. Ride days are definitely on the agenda though. I think I will get some road legal tyres immediately, and keep the race rubber for ride days. The Sunday blast will probably occur pretty much every Sunday, but in the end you are spot-on with, "just an impractical-and-who-gives-a-shit toy".

5. Heh cool, I like that attitude.

6. They certainly are addictive. Ever since I first rode a 916S I've been trying to replicate that experience.
    Sadly the closest I could afford was the firestorm...but one day.
    You are right though, they're a race bike with lights designed for 65kg jockeys.
    Not exactly comfy for the average aussie.

7. There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe-racer is one of them --- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.

from Song of the Sausage Creature by Hunter S. Thompson.

:cool:

8. "over the moon and over to the physio", Inci, you have a glorious intimacy with the English language :LOL: :LOL:

9. Brilliant...I stole it for a sig. :p :p

10. Excellent!