Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

86 fj 1200 info

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Gpz lover, Nov 29, 2009.

1. bought an 86 fj1200. goes well i think its down on compression i have been really well behaved and NOT played with it. its doing this. smokes a little when winding the power on ( not racer style) bit rattly, think the clutch bearing is going, mate has a yammy swears they all are noisy clutches, had 98 000 on clock been down and back to qld a few times now has 5 000 on clock, oil and filter changes at 0 000( new bike8-[) and again at 4 000. front brakes need an overhaul, clutch master cylinder seals went ( see comment about frasers) replaced. anyone got an old girl like mine? some troubleshooting and what to expect. can return the favour with info on the gpz series. ( had a 750r, have a gpz1000rx, working on a gpz 500 s.)

2. Gday mate, I just sold my 87 FJ1200. Best place to go for mechanical help with your bike is the FJ forums - they're really, really good. I paid for my membership and got access to their member's area, which has HEAPS about the bike, mechanical help, upgrades, etc.

The free part of the forum is also frequented by helpful and friendly blokes (mostly in the UK, but some Aussies) who are always happy to help.

Cheers :)

(By the way, the FJ engines chew through oil. Mine was pretty good with about 500mL per 1,000km, but they can be much thirstier than that!)
  3. At that kilometerage, it could probably use new rings, valve guide seals and a camchain. Not a massively complex job on an old style air-cooler.