Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

85 Yamaha SRX6 or asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Leighroy09, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Hi Guys

Still looking for a bike for daily work runs and weekend cruises but after sitting on a few 250's found they are way to small for me (90kgs 6'3).

I've found 85 SRX6 with 40,000kms and a fair bit of rego but I dont know if its just asking for problems :-s

I really love the cafe racer style but dont know much about bike maintenance.

It's a bigger bike which will suit my frame but I'm a little worried about the k's and the yr.

I was told from the L's instructor that 0 to 10000k's is new 10000k's to 20000k's in mid and anything after that is getting on.

Thiswas suprising as I know theres heaps of bike out there with 100,000ks + but then again I asume the guy knows what he's talking about.

Anyway let me know what you think and hit me back!

:) Cheers :)
  2. The SRX was a decent bike in its day. A bone stock one with sticky tyres won a UK national singles race series in about '86 or '87.

However, you're now looking at a 24 year old bike with a moderate amount of kms for a single (assuming the kms are genuine, which is anybody's guess after 24 years) and thinking of using it as an everyday ride.

, I'd really think very hard about running any bike that old as a commuter that you need to rely on. It can be hard work and potentially expensive even for an old hand with grease under their fingernails, especially with something relatively obscure. Your friendly local Yamaha dealer will be unlikely to have parts on the shelf for it when (not if) you need them.

Dunno what your budget is, but, at first glance, you'd be better off with something like a GS500, which have a little bulk, can be had relatively cheap, have been sold everywhere since the year dot (and are still available so spares haven't dropped off the radar yet) and are as bullet proof as any bike you're likely to find, being a four-stroke Suzuki.
  3. hmmm ok thanks for the advise Pat, I really need a reliable bike for work so looks like the cafe dream in on hold for a while :(

Il'' have a look for some GS's now.

My budget is about $4500 and I really dont want it 2 b sitting in the garage more than I ride it.

Thanks again! :)
  4. I had a GS500 and I rate them highly! I'm 6'2 and about 100 kilos and it wasn't a drama. Mine was $2500 and I sold it for that much. $4500 should get you a pretty nice one. Bulletproof as you can get and pretty good on juice too. Perfect commuter IMO. I reckon with a bit of imagination you can get the GS looking fairly cafe-ish as well! Good luck!
  5. Years ago, I saw one fitted up with early GSXR750 bodywork. Looked schmick as.
  6. [​IMG]

SRX's are too old, but there are plenty of nice later model air-cooled trailies out there that could be done up like the DR600 pictured here.

Find a nice XR600 or similar and make it a project.
  7. This bike is soooo nice!

I love this style!

I think I might get a bike thats easy to work on so I can learn the ropes then when I'm on my full licence buy a project bike.

I love that you can have a project bike and it doesnt take up the whole garage and depending on how far you take it, it doesnt need to drain the old wallet.

I think I might try join a club around my area and meet some of you guys then I could get some sweet ideas on what to do.

Anyway thanks 4 the help!!
  8. Depending on condition (and that's a big 'depending') the SRX could be a good buy. The big Yammie singles are a strong motor and being an air cooled single everything is fairly accessible and most parts only have one of them.
    If you treat the bike with respect to its age, there's no reason not to commute on it. I regularly see a Guzzi Lario, a Yamaha Turbo and a Honda VT250F on my morning commute. My neighbour has been regularly getting out on a Yamaha XZ550 for at least the last 15 years.