Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

$85 Mesh Jacket Review

Discussion in 'Jackets' at netrider.net.au started by jd, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Following Mav's post about the clearance stuff at Bikebandit in the US I decided to grab one of the cheap mesh jackets they had on sale for summer, specifically the Fly CoolPro Mesh:
    http://www.bikebandit.com/fly-coolpro-mesh-motorcycle-jacket
    I only paid $85 for mine, though looks like the price has very recently (ie in the last week) gone up to $105 (still well below the $150rrp though). Glad I acted fast now :).

For the price I paid I wasn't really expecting much, but figured it would make a reasonable alternative to just wearing a t-shirt on really hot days. On opening the parcel (which only took a few days to arrive) I was actually quite impressed with the quality. The only thing that really marks it as a cheaper jacket is that although double stitched, the second row of stitching isn't concealed like on my (considerably more expensive) AGV jacket.

The jacket has two points for adjustment for arm thickness, though using press studs instead of velcro means it only gives you a choice between three settings. I prefer the press studs though, as I've trouble with velcro on bike gear in the past losing most of its fuzz and no longer sticking properly. Another interesting feature is a couple of zips up the sides which allow you to expand the jacket at the waist by several inches. No use to me, but I imagine it would be quite useful for fatter riders rather than having to go a size up and get a poor fit around the shoulders. Armour is the usual cheap CE approved elbow and shoulder pads, and the squishy piece of foam in the back insert. In addition to this back piece there are also additional foam pads integrated into the back of the jacket, though I suspect these are more for styling than protection. The jacket also includes a zipper to connect to pants, which I was pleased to find is compatible with the Rjays mesh pants I already owned (I knew both were 8" zips, but the real question was whether they both went in the same direction).

I had been waiting for a good chance to test this jacket out so I took it for a run early this afternoon since the temp had just climbed over the 30 degree mark. I deliberately stuck to 50-60kph residential streets, as well as tackling a few busy roads without lanesplitting (much). Had I been in my usual leather jacket I know I would have been struggling, but with the mesh it was actually quite comfortable. In fact when I got the occasional clear run the lower parts of my arms were actually getting a little cold. So in that respect it wasn't all that different to just riding in a t-shirt, and in fact I very quickly forgot I was wearing it at all since it is also quite light and, at least for me, fits perfectly. There is a rain liner which I've not yet tested, but being little more than thin plastic means this is not the sort of jacket I'd be wearing during a cold winter (for that the Rjays all seasons jacket with its rain and thermal liners would be a better choice). For hotter climates, or just as something cheap to wear on hot days rather than squidding, I reckon this jacket is definitely worth a look - even at the now slightly higher price.

I note there is a version 2 of the jacket available for $135, but pictures for both look exactly the same to me. So I've no idea what they changed or if it's worth paying more for the newer model. I've included a couple of pics to give a better idea of what it looks like. Feel free to ask questions if there's anything I've missed.
    jacket10.
    jacket11.
    Oh and in case anyone's wondering, it's made in Indonesia.

• Like Like x 1
  2. good review, very helpful thanks!

3. I bought a Dririder mesh jacket from a local bike shop, paid $179 and kept an Aussie in a job, and someone in Pakistan.

4. I kept an Aussie in a job too. The Australia Post courier that delivered the parcel. :p

I had actually planned on buying the Rjays jacket. However none of the local shops had them in stock, and none of the online sellers that I could find (or Rjays themselves) give any useful information for sizing.

Bikebandit however has a guide as to the armlength (from spine to wrist) and chest measurement for each size, so I was a lot more confident in getting something that would fit (which it does, perfectly).