Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

TAS 80km Restriction on L's and P1

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Sitting Bull, Oct 15, 2012.

1. I just want to have a whinge about the restriction put on L & P1 riders in Tasmania. After yesterday's ride I've decided to stay off the Highways for any extended trips until i'm off P1. I rode from Burnie to Stanley on the Bass Highway and was nothing but a menace on the road because of my speed restriction. Cars pile up behind me and take uneccessary risks when overtaking. Riding home a car that was two back in the cue decided he'd had enough of doing 80 and overtook without concern for caution. A car coming the other way was forced into the gravel and I went over to the side of the road as far as I could to make room. This sort of thing happens all the time and I feel the restriction is uneccessary and only promotes the possibilty of serious accidents. How many L and P1 platers don't go up the back roads where they know they can't get pinned for more than 80 just to free the anxiety that builds up from doing 80 on a main highway where the roads are built for the speed limit? After driving on the roads at the speed limit for over 30 years I find it very frustrating.
    SB

2. but going slower is always safer Mr Bull.

3. Think about it this way:

a speed camera cannot detect a P plater, so you don't need to worry about them.

Most police traps operate by detecting you from the front, and stepping out onto the road, pulling you over. Your plate is only displayed on the back of your bike. What do you think the odds are of a cop turning around to observe your plates after you pass at what they see is the legal limit? What do you think the chances are that they will chase you after that? Especially you're probably a fair way away by then given you are going over 80.

4. Yes I know, I get the slow is safer and that the 20-30kms can make a hell of a difference when it comes to stopping distance. But, paying too much attention to your mirrors and not what is in front of you can prove fatal. Which is what it may cause a young learner without road experience to do. I find it distracting having to constantly being on the alert for some idiot making a seriously dangerous maneuver behind me. I do the courteous thing and let cars past by pulling over if the queue gets too long and always prompt vehicles to overtake when it's safe by slowing down and moving over where applicable.

5. do the posted limit unless its a multi lane highway, and i dont think you guys have any/many of them.

Ive done the posted limit on ps for both car and bike, never got pulled up for it, at the end of the day going 108kph wont attract the attention from the police in a 110 zone unless they see your p plate, which can easily fall off.

6. I think your sarcasm detector needs a tune up....

7. I can't confess to doing anything similar after the idiot did what he did yesterday to avoid it happening again but I'm with you.

8. I'll have to fix that screw holding my plate on sometime soon.

Hmm, with you now.

I just don't wanna get pinned and end up having to wait longer to get off these bloody restrictions.

9. I honestly cannot get my head around this restriction at all. It's absurd in the extreme. What on earth is the logic behind it?

I imagine it came about because some bright spark said "Inexperienced drivers/riders may be uncomfortable at higher speeds, therefore may have more accidents, therefore we should restrict them to lower speeds." Which is fine as far as it goes, but did nobody think any further than that?

1. These people can legally gain a total of zero experience at speeds in excess of 80kmh until their restrictions are lifted, so the minute that happens, they go ahead and give it some extra juice... and then what?

2. On a single-lane road with a speed limit higher than 80, they can frustrate the hell out of people who are not similarly restricted, resulting in idiotic behaviour such as tailgating, dangerous overtaking etc.

3. Restricted drivers must surely be aware of how irritating they may be to non-restricted drivers, for example where there's a line of cars forming behind them. This must be a source of anxiety, which can't possibly lead to improved concentration.

It seems so incredibly illogical to me, and yet it's the case in multiple states (surprisingly, not Victoria) which boggles my mind.

It's funny though, I've never seen any accident statistics where "going too slowly" was a contributing factor. After all, we all know that "slowing down won't kill you." :bolt:

10. It just increases stress and frustration all round as you've noted. Not sure why they persist with it in some states.

11. I may be wrong but I think you can get pinned for going too slow which seems rather contradictory since it would be for the reasons I've outlined, a menace on the road. I hate feeling like that, the way people look at me and they risk there lives to get passed me.

12. 80km is a stupidly slow speed on the open road. This was highlighted to me on the weekend after having my learner permit son drive from Wagga to Narrandera and back. Other drivers get frustrated, which leads to them overtaking at inappropriate opportunities. It's scary for the learner to have his mirrors full of Prime Mover, which can lead them to become nervous and start making silly little mistakes and not maintaining their position on the road.

13. What I'd like to know is what it would take to change it.

I'm with you guys, it's more dangerous to be speed restricted than to not be. It just doesn't make sense. And it's freaking terrifying as a learner or p plater to try to slot into a flow of much faster traffic, or feel threatened by drivers roaring up behind you, ESPECIALLY on a bike.

I guess that's all part of this frustrating nanny state thing I'm becoming increasingly aware of - Perhaps from their (whoever 'they' are. I'd seriously write them a letter if I thought it'd do any good - or does it?) point of view, If there weren't speed restrictions on learner and provisional licences, it'd be up to US to decide when we feel ready and can be safe on the freeway. That leaves room for poor decisions. :eyeroll:

14. Go faster - **** the law - your life comes first (and enjoyment.)

this is legal advice in the sense that i do it - but if you ever get caught i don't know you.

• Like Like x 3
  15. It seems you have inadvertentaly deduced their cunning plan.

This skill that you have been developing of constantly observing your six will stand you in good stead in the long run.

16. The Mrs is on her L's and restricted to 80km/h (although car L plates are 100km/h).
    We live in a town that has 3 roads out of it, one is 80km/h the other two are 100km/h roads, I have told her from the start if you are on the 100 roads do 100, cars are not used to overtaking bikes, and I don't want anyone in a car at 100km/h doing something they are not used to.

17. Lol, provided you survive, you mean? That's a plan of truly Baldrickian cunningness.

18. It used to be 80 in SA as well and they sensibly changed it to 100. This discussion came up once before and I was surprised to see some people supporting the 80 k stance.
    The thought of sitting on 80k on the freeway while semi trailers fly past me doing 20k more is scary shit.

19. Believe me the reality is scarier than the thought.

20. Still is for motorbikes, well at least the riders handbook still has the 80km/h limit for learners :/ luckily I am off them now :D