Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

800cc sportbike in 2008?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by abvc, Aug 27, 2007.

1. is there any news on it? will it appear sometime in 2008 or 2009?

2. wot, so the F800S doesn't count then?

3. No. Neither does the Ducati Monster S2R 800.

4. sorry, my bad - didn't know i'd stumbled into a thread where the local 'tard opinion is that sportsbikes need four cylinders and be made in asia.

As for the OP, honda are the largest manufacturer by far, and you still haven't heard a whisper of them using the litre V5 anywhere. Why would they drop back to 800?

They are all in a race with one another to be top dog. The 600's and the thousands are still production racing categories - you won't get 800's in the same frame until you can't race a thou anymore.

And given that the thousands and the 600's practically weigh the same and the only difference is in power an 800 would fit in the middle and fall on its arse the same way the 750's have. How many Z750's and GSXR750's do you think have been sold compared to the other two?

5. Not sure, but is abvc eluding to the fact that now motogp has gone to 800cc, manufacturers are going to start building similar road versions? I'm sure there was a thread about this but in short my opinion is no, there will not be similar V4 800cc sportsbikes produced for the road.

6. yeah, but i've no idea about where people start getting these weird ideas that motogp (or F1 for cars) results in the same gear being used for road vehicles. Technology yes, same engine no.

You will have to get rid of the thousand cc production bike classes before you could even hope to sell a reasonably number of 800's, otherwise you get to the same circumstance as suzuki have. Three bikes, same weight, increasing cost, engine size and power - all have the same weight and the first two even share everything but the bore in the same block (well, almost). What's the point? You can't really say that 'here is an 800. It produces less power than our litre model, but it really is better because that's what we use in the custom made "we built three for the year" restricted rule environment of a unique racing category'. What's more, the K7 thou has multiple on-the-fly engine maps and it might as well behave as a 600,750 or 1000 at the touch of a button (except for fuel consumption of course).

It'll happen, but the bonox prediction is there won't be any in the next couple of years based on the lessons of the past. How many V5 Hondas and V4 ducati's are running around, just because they've been using them in motogp for the last 5-6 years. It worked for BMW and Ducati because they never had anything in the line between a 650cc single and a 1200 twin (or 4). The same can't be said for the big 4.

7. yeah. but who knows good marketing can change people's perception... maybe 1000 becomes out of production like 250 2 stroke??? lol or maybe 600

8. What about the Honda VFR800? :wink:

9. Suzuki already has one. It's called a GSX-R750. If you think the extra 50cc makes any difference your kidding yourself.

As usual the others are lagging behind

10. People I know who ride the 750 usually complain about its lack of mid-range, but have no complaints at all about its top-end power. I reckon if Suzuki made it a GSX-R800 by keeping the same bore size, but by increasing the stroke length and therefore the mid-range, and kept the same peak power, you'd have a bike that you'd notice the extra 50cc easily.

11. I wonder if they can bore out an extra 50CC on a GSXR 750 Engine without compromising its integrity...
    They could have an 800 on the market prety quickly if they can at minimal development expence and leave it to the marketing boys to push it from there.

12. You would be able to do that by replacing the head and the crank wouldn't you?
    Again a minimum engeneering solution.

13. You wouldn't need to replace the head. Just the crank, with shorter rods. but it wouldn't be as smooth, though I suspect the difference in vibration would be nominal.

14. After riding and loving the 675's mid-range (would have trouble picking that it's not a litre-bike in the lower 2/3's of the rev range), but I do admit to wanting a touch more top-end power (having had a litre bike as my last bike), I'd absolutely love to see an 800cc triple in the same mould as the Triumph Daytona 675. My bike is bone stock though, and after a little work to bring it up to 120rwhp it'll be where I want it, but I reckon a Triumph Datyona 800 triple with a stock ~125rwhp, the same stonking mid-range, and maybe the extra 1kg of weight required to achieve that would be an extremely compelling bike.

I doubt that the market would take to such an idea, being such an in-between bike, but I reckon you'd only need to get someone's butt into the seat for 10 minutes through their favorite twisties to turn them into a converted believer.