Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

800-1000CC 4 Cylinder Bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Shori, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking to get some suggestions on 800-1000 CC four cylinder bikes.

-not more then $13k new or second hand
    - preferably 100hp and more
    - preferably adjustable suspension
    - preferably w/t ABS
    - smooth transition of power
    - preferably a naked bike - but not hell bent on it

2. Speed triple or z1000 or z800. I went z1000 as I thought it looked the best.
  3. Z1000 with ABS is easily doable for 13k I think :) doesn't get much smoother. If you aren't in a rush, wait a month or 2 as the new Z1000 is on the way so they will be running out old ones.
  4. I haven't ridden one but love the look of the Z1000. On paper it seems to have the performance to match the looks too.
  5. Only get the z1000 if u like doing wheelies ;-) . If your really interested in one I'll meet u at PITS and give u the keys.
  6. Like the Z1000, but my partner will hate it...
  7. Z800(113 bhp ) is a bit cheaper than Z1000(136 bhp ) , powerful , equipped with ABS but not as smooth as honda's CB1000(125 bhp ).

They're all my dream bikes. NAKED.
  8. VFR800 meets all your criteria V4, 110hp, adjustable suspension, very smooth power delivery with a lot of useable torque.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. What will you choose between a 16,000kms...???
    - 2011 VFR800
    - 2011 Tiger 1050 (I know its not 4cyl)
  10. Vfr. Every time
  11. Why....???
  12. The VFR is Hondas flag ship, I never met anyone who didn't lover their VFR.

I have owned 3 of them over the years and currently have a Gen7 VFR12
  13. #14 BitSar, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

I have.

The VFR 800 is somewhat of a cult moto.
    Especially the earlier Vtecs.

Then you should know more than most the newest 1200 is not a comparo bike to the older 800s.

Having ridden a 6th Gen VFR800 I can say this:
    It is lovely.
    It sounds nice.
    It handles well - albeit heavy.
    It turns well-ish.....albeit heavy and with shoddy suspension for the weight.
    It needs more brakes.
    It needs better suspension.
    It needs a better chassis.

Uneven firing order and a lovely motor is the only thing (IMHO) it has going for it.

14. So in your opinion the - 2011 Tiger 1050 is better...

15. I have not ridden the 1050 Tiger or the Tiger ST (although I think the ST looks like a nice thing)

I have ridden a Tiger 800 - not the XC. I have not taken it off-road.

On road it is nice. Great motor.....really great. Not exciting, but it's not supposed to be. It is hugely rewarding with tractable, predictable power and linear torque.....rewarding - yes, exciting, yet again - no.

High centre of gravity
    A bit pentium processor (as I tend to find all Triumph triples)
    A little lacking in overall character.
  16. There's a reason the vfr production went for so long... And why they're regarded higher than the 1200 replacement. They're a bit of an everything on sealed road sort of bike. The don't tell toady cause he'll take you on gravel.

They're built we'll, go well, tour well.... I think it'd outlast the triumph and give you less trouble, but a lot more smiles...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. There are a few things to get fixed on them all straight away though:

* Springs and damping to suit the rider (stock suspension isn't very good)
    * Add a VFRness as a suppliment to the original wiring harness between the voltage regulator and the battery
    * Chuck out the original voltage regulator and install a MOSFET regulator
    * Store the OEM slip-on in the shed( in case you get a date with the EPA), and put on an aftermarket slip-on to let the glorious sound out

There are other modifications I've done to my Viffers, but these are the main ones that every Viffer needs.

Slow turn-in is easily fixed with increased rear ride height (do it at the time of suspension upgrade).

The 5th-gen (early 800 - EFI, non-VTEC) is the cult bike, not the 6th-gen VTEC. It's 10kg lighter, and doesn't have the VTEC transition that can put brown stuff in your pants mid-corner, plus it still has the gear-driven cams. The brakes aren't that bad once you get the suspension done, but you do have to use the rear brake to get maximum effort from the front brake, so some people de-link them, but there's a lot of stuffing around involved, and you can't keep the stock master cylinders. Usually, people just use high friction pads.
    • Informative Informative x 1