Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

79 GS750 won't start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by BlueRex, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Long story short.

I recently purchased a 79 GS750.
    Took it to the mechanic would got it roadworthy.
    Engine wise all he did was put new plugs in it as it had been sitting in a shed for 2 years doing nothing.

He suggested i get it roadworthy and registered take it for a 100km ride to get things moving again because things like the clutch plate was stuck together and it would be easier to see what needs servicing once it had a good run.

Now that was 2 weeks ago. Up until this morning(the day of the visit to the RTA) The bike has started first time no problems.

I get up this morning and it doesn't!!
    It is turning over but will simply not fire. I am thinking that the spark plugs could be fouled is that a safe assumption.

Mind you i have only ridden it a total of about an hour.
  2. Well, it's a bit of a shot in the dark without actually seeing the patient, but I'd try a couple of things. First would be to whip a plug out (not hard on the outer pots of the GS) and see if it's sparking.

If the spark's healthy, I'd drain the float bowls into a jar and see what comes out. If it's been standing for a while, there's a good chance that the bottom of the tank's full of crap, which has now been disturbed and blocked your jets.

Actually, no. The first thing I'd do is check the killswitch :D.
  3. No idea, but can I have the engine for a rickman frame that's just laying around?
  4. Well i came home tonight and thought i would give it another go.
    Bloody thing started first go.
    There goes the$35 RTA booking fee.

THanks for the replys