Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

78 Honda CB400

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Palandra, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Hey everyone. I'm brand new to this forum and site. I'm also brand new to owning a motorcycle. My girlfriend has been wanting one for a while and we found a pretty decent CB400 to get. I don't know much about motorcycles at all and am very excited to get going on this new project.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined since I've worked in the auto field for 7 years. Just don't know cycles. I need to install a new throttle cable on this bike. Anyone have any info or know a good site to get info on doing this correctly?

Also, what are the first things I should do with this bike? It's been in storage for a few years so obviously all the fluids need to be drained and replaced. Anything else?

Thanks in advance for the help.
  2. Firstly welcome.

Secondly the throttle cable is pretty simple. It should just slip in either end. You will need to split the switch housing on the handlebars. You can tie the new one to the old and pull it through. The cable path is pretty important because if you get it wrong you can cause the bike to rev when you steer it.

Fluids definitely. Might be worth pulling the carbies and making sure all the o-rings are not cracked and clean any petrol gum. Either way you will need fresh fuel and and get fuel into the bowls.

The best person to get info about a 78 cb400 is PatB ;)
  3. Don't buy it. I guarantee that it will seize its crank within weeks and the fix will bankrupt you.

If you really want a late 70s bike as a project, try to find a Suzuki twin or four. They're better all round bikes, tougher mechanically and, most importantly, were not manufactured from bean cans and cheese like Hondas of the era. GS550s are a good bet, or the slightly later GSX550 which was getting to be quite modern in feel. For a smaller capacity, the GS400/450 twins were class leaders in terms of engineering and performance, as illustrated by the fact that the current GS500 shares 99% of their mechanical DNA, 35 years after their original introduction. The Honda CB400T/CB400N design, however, sank without trace nearly 20 years ago. Because it was rubbish.