It's not a total restoration in terms of stripping the bike down and rebuilding it completely (at least not yet), more of a systematic dismantling of key parts to make sure they're not likely to fail anytime soon. I'll admit the main purpose of this thread is just so I can keep track of what I have/haven't done already but hopefully it might also provide inspiration to encourage others to find a bike to restore, or useful advice for those forced to buy an older model bike and want to know what problems they might encounter. For those that missed my earlier thread this is what I started with: Basically in reasonably good condition, but had been sitting unused in a shed for at least the last 7 years (as evidenced by the insect nest in the engine cooling fins) - but on the plus side it had less than 50,000kms. So figured that the engine should still be reasonably sound - but the suspension, brakes etc. needed some work - and cosmetically there's some minor surface rust in the usual places where the paint had been rubbed down. Day one I tackled the obvious basic stuff - fresh oil and filter, new plugs and a fresh tank of fuel which saw the engine running a lot better (was having problems with dying at idle). Still waiting on prices for a new air filter. Next step was the brakes. Checked the pads to find they were actually brand new - but there was some rust on the guide pins which I cleaned up. Front wheel seemed to be dragging a little and since I couldn't tell if it was just the new pads or the bearing I took the front wheel off. Found out the bearings were actually brand new which was a nice find - but also discovered the front axle support studs were stuffed, see this thread for more on that: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45147 Still waiting to chase up some new studs, will replace all four as well as the nuts just to be sure. In the mean time some jobs like changing the brake/clutch fluid are on hold. Of course I've found other things to keep me busy in the meantime, simplest being to give the thing a decent wash and polish. Other minor things include replacing the rubber on the shift lever and replacing the clutch lever (not broken but slightly loose from wear which was annoying). Also fitted the new ignition lock that came with the bike (previous owner lost the key and had to buy a full set of locks, the ignition was the only one he hadn't fitted yet). Of course while doing that I dropped one of the tiny bolts and had to remove the oil cooler to get it - and of course when I did that one of the bolts holding it on snapped in half. Not really a big problem since it'll just require cutting the nut welded on the other side and probably best I found it was weak now than have it break later. I'll be replacing all four bolts just to be safe. At the other end of the bike I was worried I'd have to replace the chain but what I thought was rust turned out to just be dried lube and after a good clean I realised that it was actually brand new, again another bonus. Faulty brake light was easily solved by replacing the globe. Also made sure to oil/grease all the usual spots like the side stand pivot, footpegs, centrestand etc. Since there's not much to do at the front end of the bike I spent this morning dismantling the other end. I'm gradually trying to undo pretty much every nut and bolt and replace those that are stuffed, whilst those that are still good are being put back with the correct torque and/or a bit of threadlock (nothing worse than having bolts fall out when riding). So at the moment the bike's looking like this: Also going to use this opportunity to respray the black bits that aren't plastic - specifically the chainguard, taillight and blinker brackets and the side rails. Might also respray the bits of frame that aren't that visible since I don't have to worry about matching the colour - of course if it the paint I buy is close enough I'll do the other bits of frame as well. (I know silver is hard to match but a slightly different shade looks a lot better than little orange spots ). Think that's pretty much all I've done so far, expect further updates and pics as things progress. Not sure when it'll all be finished at this stage, probably would have passed a RWC if I hadn't touched anything but since I'm not going to ride it any distance until I'm happy it's safe that would have just meant paying rego on a bike I wasn't using. Was hoping to get it finished in time for the Christmas BBQ but not too sure now, biggest problem I face at the moment is just not having enough time (this is why I actually wanted to buy a bike at the start of winter). Oh and apologies for the long post - just try and think of it as several posts compressed into one .