Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

70's BMW R60 and 75

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Crasher, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Hey guys,
    juat after info on BMW R60 and 75 models from arounf 1975
    What are these bikes like to own? Reliability ans the such?

2. You need to talk to one of our mods TonyE, he's the R65-etc guru here!!!
  3. I like these era bikes as well.
  4. I own a later model but the basic mechanicals are pretty much the same. Generally speaking they are pretty reliable. My bike has 70k on the clock and there is no way that is first time around.

They are also unsophisticated enough to be able to be worked on very easily and the boxer arrangement means you can get to most bits without having dismantle the entire bike to remove engine parts.

Parts generally cost no more than Japanese parts and there are a couple of O/seas parts distributors e.g. Motorbins which have parts anything up to 50% cheaper than here (depending on exchange rate at the time) and deliver in about 10-14 days.

However they are older technology, heavy and relatively underpowered for their engine size so they will never perform or handle and brake like the latest 675 or R6.

Not sure where you live but most states have a BMW club and at least in Vic they can help with info, tools and service days. I assume other states are similar.

Anything more specific you need to know?
  5. Thanks for the reply mate.
    Very helpful, inside knowledge is invaluable.
    Not expecting a super sports performer. I like the classic bikes. The only thing that would make me choose a Honda GB-250 over a classic beemer is refurbished GB are easier to come by.

Thanks again mate much appreciated
  6. I had a 86 r80 once upon a time, have to agree with greybm's comments
  7. Hmmm. 1970s BMWs eh?

First the cons. By definition they're approaching their 40th birthdays and a hell of a lot can happen to a bike in that time. Reliability will be much more a function of how well they've been maintained and/or refurbished over the decades than any inherent quality of original manufacture. Second, as noted above, they're not particularly quick or nimble, although the handling is better than most contemporary Japanese offerings. A well sorted OIF Triumph or Commando will ride rings around a standard one. Until it needs rebuilding anyway :D.

On the plus side, BMWs, as a species, tend to be of logical, simple design, making them dead simple to work on and get right. They are also made from superb materials so corrosion and fatigue are far less of an issue than they might otherwise be. Parts availability seems good, although I'm not sure about pre-R80 machines. There is, however, a hell of a lot of interchangeability across the range. As I understand it, the R80 grew out of the R75 and so many R80 (and, logically, R100) bits should fit if you're not fanatical about originality, giving an easy source of upgrades.

Overall, I'd see one as an easier bike to own than a contemporary Jap and much easier and more practical than a contemporary Brit.
  8. A good R75/5 or /6 is a wonderful bike. My brother-in-law (John Rayson) production raced one in SA and then rode it for many years. It was an ex Vic Pol bike I bought for him (and the purchase was a story in itself).

The first R75/5 that came out in 1970 had a four speed gearbox and a significantly shorter wheel-base.

I used to borrow it for extended periods and touring. At the time they were a very quick bike because of their light weight. Handling was excellent but the drum braked models were not great for stopping power.

After he stopped racing, John fitted the front 4LS brake from a Yamaha TZ750 which gave it brilliant braking ability.

The only real fault that it had was that there was a diode that would die. I was stranded between Bathurst and Cowra once because of this. Any you bought now would have this replaced and be fine.

My nephew now has the bike in Queensland and did a great job of restoring it. Mechanically it was good (even after racing, touring and general hooning for 100,000+ miles )but cosmetically a little tired. He's restoring it again since he lost an argument with a van...

The later /6 series had disc brakes and better instruments but are not as sought after as the /5.

The R60's were also good but significantly slower - top speed of about 159km/hr. They gained performance in the early 80's however. My '83 R65LS is a bit quicker than the early R75's and with twin discs does actually stop (mostly). The weight for all the early models was about 210kg (wet) - my R65 is 185 kg.

Parts are not too unavailable - they made a lot of them and places like Moto-Bins in the UK are a reliable source (I've bought from them in the past)