Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

7 days Brisbane to Broome on GTR1000

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by jrk36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Seven days, and 4,800km on my newly purchased 2003 Kawasaki GTR1000.

My report on my post-delivery trip from the dealer in Brisbane to my home in Brome, which I completed yesterday, will be found at: http://jrk.id.au/LongWayHome/LongWayHome.html

2. i'd love to find Broome via bike someday, thanks for sharing, enjoyed the read
  3. Reminds me of my GT550 :(
    Beautiful bike!
  4. I had a GTR1000 at one stage, they are a great long distance bike!
  5. Good report: I know that there's an appeal to these big long rides, but those long straight roads would bore me silly, I'm sure.
  6. Same. They might become entertaining with a bit of speed, but otherwise my mind just drifts off.
  7. There's a certain appeal in just cruising along on a touring type bike, it becomes about the journey and not just the riding.
  8. Long rides are like a meditation.

Nice bike to do it on. I just got the new GTR1400 and am planning a trip across the Nullabor and up to Broome.

Can't wait!

9. Well, in my case it started as a means to an end: there's nothing but smaller dirt bikes in Broome; ok, Perth is "only" 2,200km away, but it's still a much smaller market than any Eastern State capital city. Right bike at the right price in Brisbane, so .......

With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I don't think I could have done it without Cruise Control - well, not in the same 7 days anyway.

After a few days back home my reflections are that it was one hell of an experience that I have no regrets having undertaken - GO SEE OZ' :)
  10. Broome is heading into The Wet (season) at the moment - high temperatures and very high humidity (when it's not raining). So you might care to leave the trip until Broome's winter (The Dry).

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Ulysses National AGM in Albany in March 2010.