Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD 6th gen VFR800 windscreen

Discussion in 'Wanted' at netrider.net.au started by Vertigo1, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all.
    Im wondering if any one would like to lend me a 6th gen (vtec) vfr800 windscreen so I can pass a roadworthy. Current screen has slight hazing and wont pass. Would only need it for a day.
    Im in caboolture.
    Cheers

2. VFR's don't have windscreens. They just have an aerodynamic device at the top of the bike that happens to be clear in stock form. Honda calls it a windscreen but it doesn't mean it is one! ;)

Otherwise, polishing it with a cutting polish (yes, the stuff used on paint) might work. To get rid of grind marks out of an indicator lens (acrylic - might be the same stuff as the windscreen) I filed away the gouge marks, then sanded with 320 grit wet&dry, then 800 w&d, 1200 w&d, 2000 w&d, then polished with a light cutting compound. Nice and clear and shiny now. The cutting compound works directly on faded black ABS, so maybe it will work on the windscreen too. :)

3. I think they're being a bit harsh. I've passed bikes with tinted and iridium screens before....... Tinted visors are allowed.......... Paint it and tell them to stick it

4. Here are some before and after photos of a plastic mirror I gave a one-minute polish today as a proof of concept for what I was saying above. I only used cutting compound, so it would have been better if I had hit the scratches with 1200 w&d then 2000 w&d before using the polish.

Before:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396671022.688421.

After one minute of polishing:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396671061.986733.

Also, some scuffs on my 5th gen's screen (polycarbonate):
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396671125.944519.

After polishing for about a minute:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396671152.349473.

If you're lucky, the hazing might just be a thin oxidised layer on the surface. In which case, the cutting compound should do the trick, unless the layer is too thick. One correction from what I said last night: I used a medium cut compound (not light cut) called Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Fine-Cut Cleaner.

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.