Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

600cc too fast?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by djay, Jan 21, 2011.

1. I am a newish rider and currently on my L's - (hopefully) soon to be on my p's. I have a 250 which I'm currently very happy with and don't see myself wanting anything faster for some time yet.

However, I like to look at other bikes and imagine what I'd get when I upgrade up. I decided that I wouldn't want anything over the top and thought a 600cc sports/tourer bike would be a perfect size.

But when I tell people of my ideas about 600cc's being a good size they keep telling me that it's too fast etc etc and a 250 is all anyone ever needs.

I just don't see that a 250 would comfortably cruise at high (legal) speeds for extended periods of time on, and feel that they're being a bit patronising.

What are all your thoughts? A 600cc sports/tourer isn't ridiculously too much is it after several years of experience?
  2. People ride 1000cc sportsbikes in America off the bat without ever having ridden a 250cc etc. It might not be a good idea but people do it.
    Ride what you want to ride, you'll very quickly be accustomed to the speed and want more anyway :)

Being into Motorbikes isn't usually an exercise in being sensible. We're here to have fun, to have a life, be alive - if a 600cc ticks the box then do it.
  3. Talk to motorcyclists, not people.

A motorcycle will only go as fast as you make it, & a lot of 600's aren't that much heavier/larger than a 250.
  4. Understatement of the year.

Once you have decent control ride whatever floats your boat just respect it.
  6. Your GPX will happily sit at legal highway speeds for a lot longer than you'll be able to cope with, so they most certainly can be used for touring. I know I've racked up quite a few touring kms on a 250 with full luggage and certainly never needed more power, a 250 after all being significantly better than some diesel 4wd utes I've driven as far as performance goes.

However, there are advantages to having a larger bike in that:
    a) a larger frame can make attaching luggage easier
    b) a larger/heavier bike is more stable at speed
    c) more power makes overtaking safer
    d) larger bikes typically have much better brakes and suspension (especially compared with a GPX).
    e) fuel consumption is often no worse, or even better, if you're just cruising

If you want a 600, buy one. It's only going to go as fast as you make it go.
  7. Hi djay,

I learned to ride on a 250.. and I stayed on my P's with it too. Once I could upgrade, I got myself a 600.

There is nothing wrong with 250's, they are great bikes! but were I live (Blue Mountains), I got really fed up with having to change up and down gear all the time when going up the mtns... or having no extra power if I needed it.

With the 600, she just goes....the ride is smoother and the extra bulk and weight of the bike make it a far more stable ride.
  8. If you want to do alot of highway kms, then a 600 isn't really ideal either. There aren't many 600 sports tourers, except the LAMS ones but they're probably slower than what your on now. If you want a sports tourer your better off going with a 800 or thousand etc.

My first bike from my Ps (and I didn't do any real riding on my Ls and Ps) was a CBR900RR. Alot of non bike people freaked out over it because 900 is a big number, but because it was a super torquey beast with very linier power delivery it was very easy to ride as fast or slow as you want. I'll be honest, it took me 3 months before I had the courage to hit wide open throttle on it and that was in top gear. They are easy to take off on, unlike the 600 sports bikes where you have to rev them up high like a 250 to take off and don't make much low down power. The part that non bike people don't get is that 600s are more aggressive than thousands as a rule of thumb.
  9. i learnt on a 500 and it was perfect! a 600, so long as it's learner legal, would be brilliant :D

stuff what others say - i learnt that the hard way by listening to every story told to me that bikes were dangerous and lives lost of their friends and all the horror stories and the "oh 500cc's is HUGE!" ... stuff it all.

you learn and you do it - you won't look back and you'll be glad you got the 600! (or 500) just don't get a 250 if you can help it ;)
  10. That's only because the LAMS versions are restricted.
    An unrestricted GSX650F would be double the power of what he's riding now, and triple the torque.
  11. There is a twist grip throttle on motorcycles. How fast you go greatly depends on how hard and how far you twist it.
  12. If you've been riding for a while you wont have any issues with the power of a ~600cc, especially if its designed for sports touring as they're not as highly strung.

Go test ride some 600s you'll see, its nice to have some power in reserve.
  13. It's not so much speed that I miss on my VTR250, it's overtaking power and up-hill power.

Some hills with a headwind require 10-11000 RPM in 3rd to maintain 100km/hr up. That's when I wish I had a bigger engine. Otherwise, it's happy to sit at 110 all day in 5th, although my arse isn't happy to do that.
  14. Not all '600cc' bikes are created equal.
    Back in 1987 I went from a Kawasaki KE100 to a KLR650 & the biggest difference was the weight of the thing.

You'll need to get out & ride a range of bikes. Sports bikes can be overrated so don't restrict yourself to them. Even out here cutting edge sportsbike technology can be lost of some riders

As you can see on this forum, the biggest issue with riders out on the road generally is the speed limits, but a majority seem to also favour sports/performance bikes.
  15. I'm in the process of buying one of these as we speak, for my upgrade bike.
    My "dream" bike was a CBR600RR, but I also knew I wanted to do some touring...
    I was literally shaking at the prospect of test-riding it - it's much heavier and more powerful than anything I've ridden before, and I had real concerns of my ability to control it.
    But as soon as I got both feet on the pegs all that extra weight "disappeared", and the thing didn't flip upside down at the slightest twist of the throttle as I "feared"! I had to laugh at myself: what a fukkn nancy-boy!
    Respect for the extra power is a good thing I reckon, but there's no need to be scared of a bigger bike just because it is one...
  16. Thanks guys. Good advice - I'm just going to ignore the 'armchair critics' and keen dreaming about my pretty white 600cc ninja.
  17. Simply put - you're right and they are clueless!!

If you want to be out touring or cruising on the open road, the 250 is totally inadequate. It's actually MORE dangerous than a 600. Yeah, they go faster, but that's unto you and your right hand. But what they really have is power. Enough to allow you to overtake safely, keep up more easily, and are generally a bike with much higher quality suspension, handling, braking etc. Especially if you are carrying a bit of gear for an overnighter, etc

Those trying to put you off aren't looking out for you, and clearly aren't riders. Ignore them.
  18. Tell them to shut up and ride what you want. If you are happy with the 250 stick with it, if you want a 600 then go for that.
    If a 250 was "all anyone ever needs" they wouldnt make Triumph Rockets.

Good choice, I would go for one of these myself if I was looking for a 600 sport tourer. I would pick it over the Suzuki GSX650F because of the ABS option.
  19. Definitely get out there and ride a couple of different bikes... seriously!! Don't just pick one based on what other people have said. Those telling you that a 250cc is all you will ever need clearly have no clue and you shouldn't be listening to anything they say.

I commute to work daily (20km round trip) on 1000cc bike where the speed limit is never more then 70km/h. Considering I can hit about 120 in first gear, do you really think I need a litrebike for such a trip? I certainly know I don't but I bought one anyway because it's what I've always wanted and I feel comfortable on it. So long as you can control the throttle well and watch your speed, you shouldn't have a problem.

Don't let other people decide what bike is best for you. You are bike need to be at one together. If you don't feel comfortable on your bike, whatever it may be, then you shouldn't be on it... period! You buy what best suits you and your needs.

That's my $0.02 anyway. :)
  20. I'm currently on my restricted and own a MC22 CBR 250. Love it to bits in some ways, hate it in others!
    I will be upgrading to a liter super sports the "day' my restriction ends! I'll explain why:

CBR is NOT good at freeway speeds, don't care what anyone says, especially when it's windy! Extra mass of liter bike will be much more stable.

CBR severely lacks power, especially at the higher speeds where overtaking (all too often to get out of the way of a merging car that hasn't seen me grrrr) is important. Non existent problem with litre bike...any gear/any speed, it pulls!

With CBR to get to even the lowest speed limit (60) takes at least 3! gear changes unless i stretch out each gear, and then to quieten it down, i have to move all the way to top gear (6th) anyway. Can become tiresome and a little frantic if in decent traffic. Litre bike will do 150kmh in first....i will never do this, but certainly wont be constantly flicking up and down through gears at lower speeds. Much more relaxed riding.

CBR is too small for me. I am 6' and 95kg. I fit a litre bike perfectly.

CBR is AWESOME to learn on though. On a positive note, i have no regrets starting on one. It has taught me how to handle and control a sports bike so that when i move up in size/power, i am familiar with the feel/position/handling of the super sports layout.

Yes, most of my arguments can be justified with an upgrade to a 600, correct.
    But,as haksu says quite accurately, Being into Motorbikes isn't usually an exercise in being sensible. I want a 1000cc's, simple ;-)

Like most have said, your right hand will determine what power you deliver to the back wheel, i learnt to ride motorbikes on a Honda 954rr....and compared to any 600, that bike is a serious weapon, but it was a pussy cat because i was sensible. It didn't feel heavy, it didn't rocket from underneath my crotch at the slightest touch of the throttle, it reacted the way i treated it.

I have also ridden a mates 08 R1 with zero concerns....except that i didn't want to give it back. Had the same experience as above.

Ultimately it's about confidence in your ability champ, any bike can get you in trouble, no matter what capacity, so be realistic, do your research, test ride a good range of bikes (carefully), and make your choice from there.

Ride safe!