Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

600cc superstock

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by abvc, Oct 19, 2007.

1. i had a look at hartwell mcc, and their categorisation of 600cc is either novice or non expert instead of superstock or supersport. are the bikes superstock or mix? and why there is no expert class?

i checked preston mcc aswell. they are more extreme. under 500 or over 500

who hold/where can i actually find superstock races? like club, vic, national level?

2. What are you trying to achieve?

Do you have a Supersport prep'd machine (to national level) and want to race that, or are you concerned that everyone is running Supersport and you're running Superstock?

As for novice, non-expert and expert, I don't think it makes a huge amount of difference. Unless you've been racing before, you start as a novice. This at least allows you to compete and learn before you dive into the hard racing.

There is nothing to stop you going straight to the national series other than cost. Club racing is just that, a big club of silly silly people who all go around and around and around having an absolute ball being very very stupid. You can literally turn up on a big POS and as long as it can pass scrutineering they'll find some class you can run in. National (or even state) is so much more serious.

The East Coast Race Series http://www.ecrrs.com.au/ and http://www.circuitbreakers.com.au/ are running the Supersport and Superstock class. Check their websites for details.
  3. hey cejay, thanks for reply. yeah your correct, the reason is i am looking for a competition which is reputable enough and on a level playing field (plus cheap & i can use the bike occasionally on road- therefore i'm looking for superstock, am i right?) to help me get to my goal which is a factory rider in national supersport class...
  4. What is this 'cheap' you are referring to? I thought I knew what it was, but alas it eludes me.

You're problem is that to stand out you need to spend money, even on a Superstock bike. Preparation is the key and unless you have an abundance of natural talent, having the bike being as good as it can be (within the rules) is more than just a little bit of spanner work.

If your intent is to make this a job, my advice is to start off with club racing on a 600 that is already setup. This will give you an idea of how good you really are. Get your arse whipped at this level and you're probably not ready to take the next step and it allows you to have a look at what the good riders (and there are lots of them at club level) are doing. If you can match/beat these guys on similar machinery you have a reference point to work off.

You don't have to spend an eternity doing this and can easily make the next step, budget allowing.

Have you thought about the FZ6 Cup?

This single make, controlled series allows you to race, on a budget, for a whole season against some serious established and up and coming riders.

Get yourself to some club meets, have a look around the www.aus-superbikes.com.au website and check out the classifieds. I haven't looked, but this can be a good time to pick up 2nd hand bikes as riders migrate to new machines for next year.

How old are you? What do you ride today?
  5. cheap as in about $20k (total bike + preparation cost). i have read the superstock rules and really like that there is no engine change is allowed (CMIIW). so i am looking for a reputable superstock championship and rock up with the best, win or lose; which i couldn't find in either of the club championship? the location needs to be in victoria so i can still do full time job

24; gpx - i know, it's a small bike :p
  6. Do you have any racing and/or track experience to date, of any kind?
  7. i'm going to do track days for couple of months once i get my bike
  8. The Hartwell expert class is run under the title 'Clint Farr Memorial'. Non experts and experts (club grading) are run together with novices getting their own race.
    As you have no race experience, you will be a novice in your first race.
    If you win by a significant margin, they (the club) may upgrade you.
    Hartwell's 600 class is just that. 600's, supersport of superstock all together.

Interclub has a class called formula 1B which is for both supersport and superstock together with awards going to first A, B or C grade rider (national grading) but no distinction between supersport and superstock.

If you want to ride in a Superstock only class, the lower end starts at the Victorian Championships which will start again next year.
    Awards are for A&B graders and a separate award for C graders. You will be C grade but you can still try to win outright.

Further up the competitive tree is the National Championships which run the Superstock cup at their rounds. The superstock championship is only open to C grade riders of superstock spec machines on a control tyre.
    It is not a national championship as it is only open to C graders.
    Wining the series will take lots of resources, both time and money.
    It will not guarantee you any factory support or even a sponsored ride the following year.

If you want a factory ride you will need to prove you can win at the highest level and find a sponsor to pay for your ride.
    Sadly, there are no free rides, someone always has to pay.
  9. Well said, Ian. It's a long way to the top, if ya wanna rock n roll
  10. :shock: Baby steps mate.