Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

600cc on Learners permit in South Australia

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by RGVMAN, Nov 3, 2005.

  1. Im not sure if this has been discussed previously on this forum but I could not find it, sorry if it has. Anyway quite a few people have told me now that if you have the right Height to Weight ratio you can ride upto a 600cc motorbike on you Learners permit in South Australia, is this true?

  2. Ya i was told that,

    I was also told on a R-Date license you'll be able to ride a 600

    AFAIK, neither are true, you have to be 6-4 or 6-6 i think and you can ride a 600, other than that I've been told LAMS is here as of November 14th...
  3. I went through this in Jan when I started riding in SA. I am 6-1 and 110kg and didn't qualify. I was told by bike dealers that you needed to be at least 120kg to get a look in on this rule. Haven't seen the exact ruling myself though.
  4. the ruling on this is 6-4 or above and 130kg or over

    you need to have a letter from your doctor with either weight or height to get the exception.
  5. Yeah or get your licence in 1977 no restrictions
  6. Or you could just not worry about it and get a 600 anyway : :] ... (did i just say that?)
  7. but this still means you cant ride 600 sport bikes yes?....( too powerful for their weight) ... There is a Hyosung V-twin sports bike though that looks ok http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/GT650-R.html .. or maybe its only their 250 thats LAMS legal http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/GT250R.html
  8. No, if you do what NSW does, the Hyosung 650 is LAMS legal, and at the expiry of restricted riding, it costs $140 to re-jet the carbies and make it a 79HP 650.
  9. I found a PDF on transport SA's website stating after 14th of November that LAMS is being introduced to SA... So anything up to 660cc and under 150Kw per tonne or something of the like will be ok for L and R-date/P platers