Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

600cc fuel economy

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dudsy, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Hi
    Just bought a 94 zzr600 and i have been a bit surprised by the fuel usage - 250k's to reserve, around 15L of fuel (i think) which gives about 6L/100km. This is a bit ordinary considering i would get almost 300km out of my 92 model, 900 fireblade which has the same size tank???

I would like to know what other people think of these figures? Does this sound right or does it sound excessive?

BTW these k's were 95% highway with only the odd squirt of the throttle

2. You really need to be more precise with the amount of fuel used rather than guessing. 1 or 2 litres out due to guess work can really throw your figures out. I understand that it would be usual to get between 40 and 55 mpg on your type of bike ( 7.05 and 5.12 litres/100k).

Heres a copy of a post on fuel cosumption I posted some time ago:

Hey peeps,
    Some info here for those (particularly newbies) who want some fuel economy figures for the wittle zzr. The following procedure can also be used for anything with a fuel tank Razz Very Happy

I have always been interested on fuel consumption on the various vehicles I have owned and have come up with a dead easy and accurate way of calculating average fuel figures. The main basic problem with working out fuel used/100km on bikes are the relatively small fuel tanks and shorter range compared to the average cage. If at one measurement point you are 0.5 to 1 litre out over say 1 tankfull of 280 kms this can equate to @ 6 mpg error.

The trick is to do the measurements over a long time ....many tankfulls and many km's.

1. Basically start off with filling your tank as full as you can (without being silly)
    2. Take a note of your odometer reading. And I also zero my trip meter (which as we know is very useful if you have no fuel gauge and don't really want to have to hit reserve in what wil probably be an awkward situation).

3. Ride as usual..... but from now on you must make a note of how many litres of fuel you put in your bike......You do not have to fill up to the top ...I usually ask the servo for a receipt.

4. If you want to see how you are going say after 2 tanks here are is the "real world" example of my zzr's figures.

tank 1: Start k's = 33782 finish k's = 34037 distance 255km litres 9.88 (tank filled to top)

Tank 2:start k's = 34037 finish k's = 34342 distance 305km litres 14.74 (tank filled to top)

you can work out fuel consumption after this time as long as you have filled your tank up to approximately the same level as in step 1. Part filling is ok as long as you keep adding up your litres as you go....your odometer will keep track of your k's.

5. To calculate: Take away your finish km's away from your start km's in this case 33782 - 34342 = 560km

add all litres to get to the full tank = 9.88 + 14.74 = 24.62 litres

so we have travelled 560km on 24.62 litres.

to work out fuel consumption we use llitres divided by km's (measured in 100's) eg 560kms = 5.6 hundreds of km's

which is 24.62litres divided by 5.6 hundtreds of km

this gives a consumption of ..... 4.39L per 100km
    for those who like mpg (miles per gallon) we use a conversion factor of 282

answer in mpg is 282 divided by litres per 100km
    = 282 divided by 4.39
    = 64.23mpg

so as we have only basically worked this out over 2 tank fulls if the levels were 1 litre different to when we filled the tank to start and to when we filled the last tank..... our results will have quite an error.. How we get this error factored out is to do this over a longer period.

This is where I am at at the moment.

travelled 2985km used 118.5 litres in doing so.

= 118.5 divided by 29.85 hundreds of km = 3.96L per 100km
    mpg = 282 divided by 3.96 = 71.21 mpg

as these results were taken over a long time the possible up to 1 litre filling up error between start and finish re fills is all but eliminated.

Note: I ride my zzr mostly on highways at 90km/h as only learner licenced (yes 80 is the max for learner down here but the extra 10k's stops cages most of the time pulling stupid over take monouvers etc in 100km zones, but thats another story).

Also don't thrash it (as a new clutch is not far away) although have pushed to 13000revs a couple of times.

lots of LUV v8.
  3. Well, V8cressida has just about covered everything. I'll just add that your ZZR is slightly heavy on juice, and your 'blade was impressively frugal.
    If there's a rule at all, it seems to be that fuel economy is more related to power output rather than capacity, in bikes. Even that has exceptions.
  4. thanx v8cressida for your post, i will try your suggestion, the only thing im not sure about is the reserve capacity of the tank. Is there a standard capacity?
  5. Unfortunately there isn't a standard. Can be as low as 2L or up to 5.5. Usually the less economical bikes tend to have larger reserves for obvious reasons.

Found this : http://www.ukbikeforum.com/html/zzr600.shtml

says @ 4.2 L reserve

6. Ok so if reserve is 4.2L then that brings the figures down to around 5.52L/100km. That's not to bad i spose, still i might put the old girl in for a service anyway.
  7. I get about 6L/100kms from my GSXR600 and about the same from my GSX1400. I think this is pretty good fuel economy for a performance vehicle :grin:
  8. dudsy -

I have a 96 ZZr600 which is my "do everything" bike - commute, thrash, tour, and basically save my good bike from racking up a zillion kays. I love it, it's a great little bike.

Whether I ride like an old woman or thrash the nuts off it, it runs on to reserve at 260 kays. Nothing makes any difference, and when you crunch the numbers it's actually not bad for a heavy old boat that makes more than 90 horsepower.