Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

6 insane things science can't explain

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Ljiljan, Jun 2, 2011.

1.  Top
  2. Yeah, interesting stuff. The " Antikythera Mechanism" is food for thought. The ancient batteries mentioned are one of several examples. The simple answer is that certain things were discovered and then lost, only to be rediscovered or invented later. Why this freaks people out so badly I'm not sure.

For example. The ancient Greeks worked out that the earth was a ball, that it revolved around the sun and the moon revolved around the earth, and how big the earth is, and got a pretty good theoretical model together that matched what we understand today fairly closely. This isn't speculation - we know who these guys were and copies (of copies) of the original work remain. But this knowledge was almost completely lost. It was remembered but not entirely believed in the East, and completely forgotten or destroyed on the West because it was heretical - it flatly contradicted the christian bible. Paradoxically, the copies of the original texts and scrolls survived and were kept in monasteries, by monks. (No, not to keep the knowledge alive - they scraped the ink off the good paper and wrote their religious rubbish on it, because the western world had forgotten how to make really high quality paper, and it used the best it could get - scraping off the ink from priceless historic relics to print rubbish on. But because they did that, the scrolls survived, and we can now read what the original text was.)

Benjamin Franklin proved the existence of electricity by playing with lightning. Supposedly. So why are there several examples of things that could only be lead acid batteries that predate Franklin by hundreds (or thousands) of years? This is one example, or group of examples, and I have a vague idea it's the oldest one, but I'm pretty sure I've seen other examples from different places and times. So knowledge of electricity might not have been common in the ancient world, but some people obviously knew about it.

Final example and I'll shut up. Cocaine comes from the coco plant - nowhere else. The plant grows in Peru and odd spots around south america. It does not grow in Africa and never did. Modern scholars laugh at the idea that trade existed between south america and Egypt, in the time of the Pharaohs. Ok, so how come the mummies of the kings test positive for Cocaine?

3. I really wanna try and catch the dragon squid!

4. The Baigong Pipes have a quite mundane explanation, there goes the alien invasion theory.

5. hahahha nice one lucifer

6. It explains it all! Well done!

I've got a book on the Antikythera Mechanism, I should read it.

7. I know I have seen a doco where they decided the Antikythera mechanism was an astronomical clock, and made a working reproduction...

2 minutes on google and I found it again.
    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/121708-antikythera.html
    Score one for science!

And if you want to see science in motion, go ride your bike ;)

8. lol ... so I take it we ignore Archimedes, Aratus, Euclid, Hesiod etc.

Wonder what they'd make of the Phaistos Disc.

9. Coca, not cocoa. It's a fairly important distinction.

10. Number 1 should be - Why do women think they need 30 pairs of shoes when they only have 1 set of feet - Would love that explained

11. Or fly a helicopter. Seriously, there's more physics bombarding you up in the air compared to anything else.

12. Yes, helicopters certainly stimulate my interest in S-N curves.

As far as things like the Antikythera Mechanism and the Whatsit Pipes are concerned, we might know a bit more about such things if later humans didn't have such a distressing tendency to do stuff like burning the Great Library of Alexandria or killing anyone who might have some idea as to why the Mayan calendar counts backwards.

13. :LOL:

The wardrobe (armoire) was originally used for storing weapons, so I'd say for self defense.
    I don't have 30. No need - found that one, well-aimed, usually does the trick.

14. Interesting about the armoire (didnt know that, learn somthing new everyday :) )
    My missus must be a real bad shot to need 30 pairs I guess hahahhaha

15. ... yeah yeah yeah - the plant that nose candy comes from. You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

16. Shame that the nose candy is so bad for you long term, when my Uncle and Aunty were in Peru they had coca-tea and they said it was way better than any energy drink and it also helped with the altitude. I'd much rather have a cup of coca-tea or chew it a bit when I was tired then that teeth rotting sugar filled crap like mother.