Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

500cc for new licencee?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by The A Man, Jan 18, 2008.

1. I am based in Queensland and am looking to go for my licence shortly. Just doing a few lessons and will complete the QRide course soon.

As I have had my car licence for more than 3 years I can go straight to any size bike (from my understanding of the laws up here).

What do you guys think of buying a 650cc or so for my first bike. I am a bit worried about the increased power and my lack of ability. I am looking at a Honda or BMW tourer, not a racing bike.

I thought that this would save me losing about $1 or $2k on my first learner bike, as it seems that the market is flooded with 250cc Hondas and the resale seems to be pretty poor.

Let me know what you think?

2. At the end of the day it is up to you, but you could consider looking at teh NSW LAMS listings, they are bikes with a limited Powere to Weight ratio (Up to 649cc) and would "theoreticly" be considered more docile bikes.

As soon as you say tourer you are going to be talking about a heavier and more docile bike, but don't let that lull you into a false sence of security. any bike can bite you, and the more power it has the more respect you need to lend it.

3. Welcome.

Medium capacity vtwin are often one of the best choices for a new older rider.

Eg. kawasaki er6f, suzuki sv650

Or just a tame-ish sports tourer, eg. cbr600f, zzr600, gsx600f

Or a 600ccish motard

Note, all of these will go very fast if you want them too, but the power delivery is considered to be less overwhelming.

In the learner legal group, the Kawasaki er5, suzuki gs500f/e still have some nice torque whilst still being tame.

4. If you can find a fresh'ish ZZR600 you wont be dissapointed.
    Doesnt really matter what year.

5. see how you go on the cb600's at q ride, then decide on your first bike.

6. First bike I ever rode was a 650. Use your brain and you'll be fine.

Regards, Andrew.