Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

50 Shades of Yellow: A Learner Biker love story

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by yellowjacketb, Sep 16, 2015.

1. My bike came in today, and I feel about 8 years old again: all the memories of Lil'Yellowjacket learning to ride a bicycle at a foster kids camp down in Sorrento. Now bigger Yellowjacket is tearing around the north with a shit-eating grin on his face at the impressive speed of 50km an hour, occasionally and accidentally hitting his horn when trying to change indicators.

My early riding is extremely conservative in scope, currently limited to my street and around the block. This is my first automotive licence - I don't drive a car - so I'm pretty happy to take my time, get used to the machine, get used to moving through traffic on something bigger and faster than my Trek.

Here's to serving my fluro vest sentence, and to many years of happy riding!

• Like Like x 12
    • Winner Winner x 6
  2. All the best with your exciting adventure yellowjacketbyellowjacketb! Stay safe and upright and have lots of fun in the process :) I'm looking forward to reading about your experience. Cheers to 50 shades of Yellow!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Enjoy the ride.

When you are up to it don't forget to roll up to the Saturday Practice sessions in St Kilda
  4. Here's to serving a sentence with a smile on your face! Ride safe and enjoy. :happy:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. There will be lots of upright shenanigans, I hope.

I intend to! Looking forward to all that stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Enjoy those little moments of eternity we often feel in life's greatest moments every time you throw a leg over that seat & roll on the throttle. It's a beautiful feeling that never seems to fade.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Your great description of the excitement replayed for me getting my motorbike delivered last year. I remember vividly those first few 'conservative' rides around the block at a sub 50km/h that felt like I was doing the IoMTT. I have good news for you: the freshness may fade a bit, but the fun really doesn't. Ride safe brother.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Welcome to the best fun you can have with your clothes on!
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Who says you need to ride with clothes on?
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Well the fluro vest shouldn't be too painful, given your nick.

Aye, I still remember learning to ride a two-wheel pushie and later wobbling round the block on a Triumph Tiger Cub......both events being well over 50 years ago.

11. Yeah, this guy seems to be having fun:
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. (I will stick to my sexy cocoon of leather and reinforced rubber, personally)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Welcome yellowjacketbyellowjacketb! Don't be too upset by the fluro vest, it's not that bad. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome to Netrider and the two wheels, mate same color vtr250 I and 2ho knows how many of started on vtr's, they are a great learner bike, learn to be smooth on the controls and as GreyBMGreyBM has mentioned above, when you're comfortable to ride in to Elwood on a saturday morning come into practice session. You'll be glad you did.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Welcome aboard! Sounds just like my story, I made it in before the yellow jacket though. Started on a CB250, I still remember the first time I went through town.. never having been on the road before.. I went straight. I refused to indicate and turn and I flat out refused to go to the service station to fill up, all because I didn't want to do something wrong on the roads (I too have never had a car license).

Now, I get around like the devil himself of my 1000rr.. without a care in the world. Apart from the car that almost pulled out on me tonight, honked the sh*t out of him..
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Good work and stay upright! Enjoy the ride!
  17. I'm currently still babying myself and Mr VTR in a suburban cocoon, doing varying figure 8 routes on quiet streets with brief ventures into traffic... and as many stops and corners as possible xD

The initial 'HOLY SHIT I'M GOING FASTER THAN MY MEAT SACK AS EVER MADE TO GO' feeling is passing, but I feel righteously stoned after every practice session.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Hahah, such a great feeling. Wait until the moment you realise you need fuel and must make a dash in traffic for the service station. Will scare the crap out of you at first, but then.. you'll be making unimportant trips to the servo for no real reason. ;)
  19. I already have a sense of when it's time to reload, to tell you the truth: I can feel when it's sloshing around and sounds empty. Actually just did my first fill today :D
  20. A truly momentous occasion. It won't be long and you'll be unstoppable on the roads!