Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

5 YO tires - Cracks? with pic

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by CeeKill, Oct 30, 2011.

1. I just bought an ER-6F 2008 and my tires are OEM 2007.

During yesterday's morning practice, I noticed my bike was very easy to lock up the front brake. Maybe my set up was a bit quick but upon inspection, I noticed fine cracks along the front tyre. Each 'segment' near the central line has cracks as in the photo below.

Should I be worry and change a new set of tires ASAP?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  2. rubber has hardened over time and have heated unevenly as a result, it's best to change them.
  3. Please change them. Those are not good.
  4. Yup, a change ASAP is definitely required!!
  5. Thanks guys, I thought so...

Gonna ring 60 degrees tomorrow :)
  6. Pics are great but the proof is in the pudding. Everything you said above says the tyres are fucked Tommy....yes proper fucked.

Cracking is a symptom of hardening as is a 'sheen' on the surface. Not many tyres will make it to 5 years and be any good as a tyre, unless under exceptional circumstances.

You're following the good oil so i'm just adding my two cents. get rid of them, burnouts are grouse ok.
  7. Ahem... are you condoning 'hoon' behaviours? Watch out kittens, here I come. :p
  8. Smoke em if you got em ;)

....plus hardened tyres squeal when you rub em, that's another way to tell.