Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

5 seconds

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jphanna, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Hi people,

yesterday i witness the most amazing skills i have ever seen on the road. i decided to do a huge 110km loop (huge for a learner of 3 weeks...!) in the very twisty adelaide hills. it was wet roads all the way except for some straights where the road had dry lines emerging.

i was negotiating some tight turns, very carefully, and i had a few cars behind me in the wet, when a sport bike rider popped in front of me. (didnt see or hear him at all. i had the cars in my mirrors, and thats all) he sat in front of me enough to wave, then gave me the thumbs up, then took off around a tight corner so fast and leaned over so much, that he slid his ass off the seat towards the road, like they do in moto GP. what was going through my mind was why didnt that bike slide off the road?

i dont think a car could go around a corner that fast in the DRY....but to see a bike lean that much in the wet, was incredible. it sounded like a 2 stroke as i know the sound of hot 4 strokes, they are much deeper note than that.
    who ever that rider was, for those 5 seconds, on upper sturt road, i salute you

have you seen any unbelieveable stuff on the road?
  2. This is largely why people buy quality tyres.

Mind you, there's a big difference between a wet road, being one where water spray is actively being flung from tyres, and a damp/drying road.

On a damp/drying road, you can certainly lean over to knee-on-road lean angles with most any quality sports tyre road rubber. On a wet road, you can lean over maybe 3/4ths as much before the tyres start to slide.

Another thing too is how the rider deals with any slides. The best thing to do is to do nothing at all. Just let the bike slide around, while slowly picking up its lean angle, and it'll recover most times.

In other words, it all comes down to practise and knowing where the limits are, and even if you do occasionally step over those limits, knowing what to do when that happens.

It's also about being really smooth too.
  3. yeah. yesterday. some cafe racer or whathaveyou dead on the seacliff bridge whilst the poor sap, decked out in his authentic retro gear down to the bandanna poking out of his back pocket, having some issues kick starting the thing whilst his um, boyfriend was a little up the way waiting for him :bolt:

boy were they tearing ass through the natio before that.

nice day for a ride:) anybody get booked?
  4. The more you lean off your bike the more upright the bike is, let your body take the turns, not your bike :)
  5. I saw a cyclist, clad in full lycra, going about 70c downhill on W. Hd rd on Saturday.

He got some awesome lean on the thing on the first bend too, 'twas awesome :)
  6. In my youth (ok, only 12 years ago... was 15 lol), i used to power up and down a monster hill i lived on for exercise on my bike (as in, bicycle :p). I was detained but then released by police for clocking along on my pushy at 105kph downhill in a 50 zone, taking a massively sharp bend :D. I could have pushed it faster... but i got speed wobbles going much faster. Cmon, i was 15 i didnt think speedlimits applied to pushies then haha.

As for amazing things ive seen, was going to sydney in my cage down the F3, and guy on a suzy (dont know what) came screaming past on one wheel, standing on his pegs, and kept it balanced like that for ages.

edit: hm, some reason i wrote 13 instead of 15... cmon it was my birthday yesterday, im HUNG OVER!
  7. And now we know where Mr Messy the name came from for you. You'd have been "Mr Messy" if a car/truck had came out and you ran into them ~100km/h on a pushie ;)
  8. I tried this too in my youth but went superman over my handlebars at 71km/h. :(
  9. Plus one to that. I'm much smoother, faster and confident in the wet since I habituated that.
  10. Dear OP, get thee to the 101 cornering threads in the riding tips section and you'll be on your cornering way.
  11. ah, youth.

i did the, "how fast can you go down a hill" speed test.

my mistake was trusting my best buddy that the 90degree right turn at the bottom was all clear.

NO it farking wasn't!

quite a few close calls with that bloke! LOL
  12. So you would be using the wider part of the tyre rather than the edges?
  13. Wider - not widest as a bike MUST lean to turn.
  14. My brother-in-law lives on that road. If he hadn't been over here this weekend I'd have thought that's who you were talking about on his Daytona... :)

He established a certain reputation on an RD350 Yamaha back in the days of the Phoenix Club rides - the regular Eagle on the Hill to Lobethal run with guys like the late Greg Pretty.
  15. Actually, the bike doesn't HAVE TO lean to turn, it's just usually easier if it does.
  16. Are you arguing high speed minor adjustments in a noob's thread? C'mon Flux.
  17. Far from it. What you wrote was utterly untrue. That is all. The front wheel turning into the corner is what makes a bike turn at any speed. The bike itself doesn't have to lean at all. The center of mass will need to be at an angle though to counter the turning, which is usually easiest achieved by leaning the bike, but can also be achieved by hanging off to the side with the bike completely upright.
  18. *raises eyebrow* so we're talking pedantics. The centre of mass has to lean, true and for almost every other single rider on the planet, that's achieved by getting the bike to lean since this is the most stable and effective way of entering a corner and is intuitively understood.

Out of curiousity, how much centre of mass lean can you as a rider get while your bike remains vertical and what effective corner radius would that be?

By the way, incase you haven't seen it in other posts, the high speed adjustment thing, though not convinced of your reasoning, I'm convinced your observation is right. Just thought I'd state that. Anyway, moving on.

Edit: apologies for sounding way formal. Just a rushed response, or I'm missing F-L. :)
  19. the ops going to be scratching his head at you 2 lol

20. True. So for the OP's benefit...

Black line is the lean angle of the centre of mass for the bike & rider for a given corner at a certain speed. Now attack the corner again but this time when the body leans more (red line), bike leans less (green line) but the centre of mass (black line) remains the same.

At some point and some slowish turn rate, you can initiate the turn and leaning the body instead will avoid the bike leaning.

Flux must be in a particularly pedantic mood to bring this up though since a bike must lean to turn - take the rider out of the equation and the bike's design REQUIRES it to lean.