Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

5 riders dead on victorian roads over the weekend

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ronin11, Dec 4, 2006.

1. i was listening to the news this morning and heard this in dismay. this weekend there were 10 road fatalities, 5 of which were riders. no causes or any other information was given, just the plain numbers. thats incredible.

ridere were probably out in force this weekend due to the good weather, i know i would have been.. i guess what my quesiton is at the end of the day, remember knowing nothing more than the numbers. is this riders relaxing on a nice doy to go for a ride, taking the chance to flog the crap out of their bikes on their favourite stretch of road and overestimating their abilities, or as a result of there also being more cars out there as well and being inherantly more dangerous.

at the end of the day, we are a small percentage of road users, for us to make up 50% of such a large road toll, means we arent paying enough attention or going to fast or somethign to expose ourselves.

so, keep your eyes open, your mind in the right place, and the rubber side down. ride safe people, they are out there to get you.

2. Fatal motorcycle crash - Dubbo

2 December 2006

A Critical Incident Investigation Team is examining the circumstances into the death of a motorcyclist following a crash in the State’s west yesterday.

About 9.45pm police detected a motorcyclist allegedly speeding along Wingewarrie Street, Dubbo, before losing site of the rider.

Police then followed in the direction the motorcyclist before locating him in nearby Birch Avenue where he had collided with a telegraph pole.

Police rendered assistance to the man until ambulance personnel arrived.

The 23-year-old man sustained serious injuries and was taken to Dubbo Base Hospital where he later died.

Police from Canobolis Local Area Command have formed a Critical Incident Investigation Team to independently review all the circumstances surrounding the crash and a report will be prepared for the Coroner.

Anyone who witnessed the rider travelling along Wingewarrie Street or Birch Avenue around the time of the incident is urged to contact the Critical Incident Investigation Team or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

source: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news
  3. As I was in the instructed ride to Toolangi on the weekend.. Was on this road (forgot which part of the road), I was on 100 in a 100 zone.. Out of no where, this bike flew pass me on my right in a split second.. actually gave me a shock, it was loud. I reckon he/she was doing at least over 180km/h.. so fast that I can't even see where he was after he overtook and have no idea what bike or what color..

So, the instructor was telling us about risk management.. I suppose he was willing to take the risk of crashing, so who to blame if that happens... that would be a legit "Didn't see him coming" from cagers... seriously... I don't even know where he was coming... I remember checking my mirror.. nothing at the back except for fellow Toolangi riders.... and all of a sudden.. out of no where.. there he/she was... I would say : "he/she is asking for it.." if something bad really happens..
  4. The dreaded Fly-By :grin:

The only way to get even is follow suit and fly even faster :idea: that will give the crap out of him!
  5. I heard on the TV out of 6 accidents involving motorbikes over the weekend, in 5 cases the rider was to blame.
  6. #6 koma, Dec 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2016
    You've gotta remember that almost any of the new litre sports bikes can go from 100-200-100 in nothing more than a matter of seconds. It may be the other rider was simply wanting to pass the group on a straight and used the power on tap to do so. Admittedly by doing a fly-by he/she may have been acting recklessly but thats where the risk management comes in.
  7. The rider involved in this accident was a courier. Once or twice a week he would come through work to collect our parcels and chat with me about bikes, rides etc. The bike he was riding was his CBR 954 and the circumstances of the accident were horrific. He was heading around an up-hill left hander with a 1m wide island in the middle. What happened was that he ran wide and his tires hit the island causing him to highside. As a result he was flung through the air and hit a telegraph pole.

Today another rider, an 18 year old who is a customer of ours (P-plater), was also involved in an accident. I was riding by shortly after it happened and pulled over after recognizing the bike. After talking to him i learnt that a young girl ( who was now sitting on the gutter crying) driving a crewman had pulled out in front of him from a side street. The rider was ok aside from some cuts, bruises and abrassions. Quite lucky really, considering the only gear he was wearing was an old open face helmet.

A bad weekend in Dubbo for riders.
  8. I knew the guy in his 30's killed on the Goulburn Valley Hwy yesterday. His name was Craig and I knew him from the Bootcamp courses Tam and I have been doing since the end of September. I don't know the full details but it was a head on and there was a suggestion that the other vehicle was on the wrong side of the road. :(

RIP Craig. You were a real nice guy and didn't deserve to leave this world so soon.
  9. Yes, you are quite right.. it's all about the risk management.. that's why I chose to follow behind and stick to the speed limit.. I really cannot imaging if a cage in front suddenly decided to turn right into a side street... stupid for the cage to do that.. but..
  10. There is always a certain amount of luck involved too... what if that courier had missed the pole to either side. After all, there's a lot more non-pole than pole space beside the road. But as has been said already, it's about minimising the risks (while maximising the pleasure).
  11. {Cambo Climbs on Soapbox}

I have only had my Learners for a short time now and will probably get shot down in flames, but this is what I have observed so far;

1. Trawl through these forums and you will see riders openly flaunt how fast they were going. Not 5-10 k's over the legal limits, but 50+ klms over the legal limit;
    2. As soon as there is an incident, it must be the cagers fault;
    3. Road rage is rife within the riding community. There is a thread where people openly boast about things they have done in a fit of rage;
    4. I take my 5.4 mtr boat from Melbourne to Eildon which means I must go through the Black Spur. I always try to go as fast as the car/trailer will allow me to go so that I dont hold anybodsy up and as soon as there is a slow lane, will move over and even pull up to allow faster cars/bikes to pass. However, it scares the hell out of me how often a motor bike will fly past me on a bend. I cant see what is around th corner, how the hell can they. The roads are not very wide and there is no SNAFU room so the rider will end up FUBAR;
    5. Driving to a client this morning through the domain tunnel and here is a bike sitting in the left lane, left wheel track tailgating the car in front. If that car had to stop for any reason, then add another rider (CBR600F) to the casualty list.

Sure, loss of life is unfortunate, but the risks on a bike are much greater than riding in a car. By openly speeding, etc you maximise your own risk. A lot of bike riders unfortunately put themselves at risk and then blame the cager when things go pear shape.

{Cambo Climbs off Soapbox}

Have a safe day. :)
  12. there were 11 fatal accidents on melbs roads over the weekend.
    a 24 year old male from north melb riding a red bike was killed on saturday... does anyone know any details.
    my phone was ring most of sunday as both me and my best mate fit the discription. was not fun. WOULD PEOPLE STOP KILL THEM SELVES!!!!

BUT even with a weekend like we just had the road toll in victoria is still one bellow last year.
    on ya guys
  13. Fair points, Cambo. Can't remember who said it - but someone around here who I respect: 'Any prang you have, you're responsible for'. Seemed harsh at the time in the light of crazy driver behaviour... but part of that is leaving yourself the space, time and attention to survive and thrive even if people do stupid stuff, rather than cutting it so close you have to rely on them to drive smart. Of course they shouldn't do stupid stuff... but blame is no help when you're dead. As riders we - hell *I* - need to take responsibility for keeping ourselves alive. It's the only way the toll will fall.
  14. yeps eddy i did think you'd knocked yaself on that one.
  15. I rode to SA this weekend and covered 2678km.
    It was incedent free, I fried the bike electronics, and my back tyre got punctured badly. I was overtaken several times by cars doing way way over the limit. Like 180 and it was P-platers driving flat stick with thier mates in the car.
    Everyone does it.....!

You take your own risks, Im taking mine. I may speed on an open road but I seldom push myself past any limit. I always come out of tight corners thinking, "i could have taken that quicker" but I COME OUT OF THE CORNER.....so Im content and happy.

Riding in the City is a bloody nightmare. I found all the drivers in SA 200% better than VIC. They where polite and let you in, and nobody was speeding in the City. It was weird.....it was like they has respect for other road users, strange as it may seem. Then getting into Melbourne, Miss EXCEL hits past me at 140 in an 80 zone on her phone. Then ther couriers in the vans swapping lanes like frogger.....cars aid in putting up the risk for any driver/rider. Bikes are just as bad, bikes are quick and some hotted cars are often full of idiot wannabe drivers. I stay clear from hotted cars and squids on litre bikes.....thats where I see the speed risk.

Sorry to hear about such a bad weekend for riders.
  16. I would really love to see some changes made to the way P Plater cage drivers can just get straight in to a V8 and go mental.

There needs to be engine size limitations as well as speed inhibitors employed.

I generally sit on 115 on the freeway in my cage and am astounded how often a P Plater will pass me. Bikes are limited to 250cc in their first year, why aren't cars limited???? :?
  17. Theoreticly they are...
    But the limits are prety high and poorly enforced.
  18. --Cynic on---
    Where is luck in that? IMHO he made an error of judgement. The hitting of the island was a lack of skill.

As a result he was flung through the air....well he was going to hit something.

There is no luck in being dead..only alive.

--Cynic off.--

I am always sorry to hear of the people involved motor vehicle incidents. However unfortunately, most of them are not accidents, as they are avoidable.

I just completed a 1200km and 500km of that was in the Adelaide Hills on Sunday ..and not once did I overshoot a corner ie cross the doubles or centre line divider. Running wide is not all about luck...it is lack of skill..and you can only get skill with training..and practice.

Very simply as a motorcyclist. We make a mistake..we pay. A cage makes a mistake..we pay.
  19. They're certainly poorly enforced but not that high considering it's well under the power/weight ratio a learner rider is allowed. Although the big problem is that the list doesn't take into account cars that are under the power/weight limit, but which are still dangerous for inexperienced drivers. A mid or rear engined car for example is generally a lot more dangerous for an inexperienced driver than say a front-engined FWD/AWD sedan with the same power/weight (due to a little thing called snap-oversteer).
  20. I didn't say it was good luck: "If it wasn't for bad luck, he'da had no luck at all" (with apologies to John Lee Hooker, among others).

The accident was an error, a miscalculation... though we have no idea really what caused it, there may have been an animal on the road or anything... but even without surmising, say he did overcook the corner. Still, if he'd highsided and just rolled on the grass he wouldn't have died. He was unlucky in hitting the pole.

My point, though, is that once you're off the bike you're throwing the dice every time: people survive astonishing high speed prangs, and die in crappy pathetic little ones. And that's often down to good or bad luck. But if you don't fall off you're not throwing those dice...