Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

4day trip - Yes?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Oldmaid, Dec 4, 2014.

1. So got the Peees and have met up with a group of keen riders but they really like touring. There is an Easter ride from Sydney up to Armidale to do the Oxley run. I will have had my Ps for about 5 months by then and no chance of a new or different bike at this stage!
    This ride is on my 3km long bucket list as well and I would love to do it before I get too old:cry:

What's your problem I hear you mutter...

So I have a sports bike-not a cruiser-and I am not sure about the hours and hours of riding hunched over the tank with my legs at that angle-also these guys'n'gals really really lay the rubber with a speed limit a figment of someone else's imagination!!!!

I am concerned about
    a) being too slow and spoiling the ride for the poor bastards at the back watching my slow old arse swing from side to side, and,
    b) my getting tired and cricked up from that hunched over posture etc and either not being able to move the next day or worse coming a cropper...

Am I over thinking it or should I wait until I am more experienced before inflicting myself on such a great ride?:dead:

First world problems huh...:troll:

2. I have had an ER-5 and a CBR500R so far. I have done long rides 6+ hrs on both. Best way to build up comfort is to ride often and build up the hours in the saddle. Posture is also important, relaxed arms, grip with knees. Riding with this good posture normally and often builds up your stamina and do a few intermediate rides and see how you feel, regards fatigue etc.

With regards speed, ride your own ride. You will find the group at fuel/food stops don't be concerned with holding anyone up.

Maybe save up and invest in a Ventura rack, can make multi day trips easy with the extra luggage.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I am not familiar with the distance you are talking and cbf looking it up. But any long ride is likely to have breaks, coffee, pee petrol etc. In my experience the difference between the fast riders and the slow riders over these stages is usually only a few minutes so i wouldn't be too concerned about holding people up.

If you are slowing down TEC then they could sort this by rotating TEC duty so everyone gets a turn to look at your arse. That way any frustrations you cause will be minimised by being shared around. However again if you are invited on the ride and they know you are slow they should be accepting that and allowing for it. Do NOT ride with any group which isn't accepting as this will cuse you to try to ride to their speed instead of riding to your own abilities.

In terms of your back, the Ninja shouldn't be too bad. The secret though is to not go from no long distance riding to attempting huge distances. You need to gradually build up distance to get ride fit and used to it. But you have until Easter so start working on a program now to ride longer and longer distances until you can do the required distance comfortably. The practice runs will also let you know whether this is for you and if you don't like it you can back out gracefully without spoiling the trip for others.

But I am tipping you will love it.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. First world problem indeed Oldmaid... But a nice one to have:rolleyes:

You will be more experienced by Easter and
    IT IS on your bucket list,

Q. How long do you ride right now before the posture becomes a problem?

Will experience overcome this issue in any way?

If you love your Ninja, is raising the bars (to change posture) a cost effective option vs changing bikes?
  5. I am height challenged ( read as almost as wide as I am tall...) so had the front forks lowered as far as I could otherwise I can't get on/off anything higher and I'll end up on funniest home videos... Sigh :troll:
  6. 4 days to do an overnighter at best?... I don't think they will be riding all that fast and if they are they'd be stopping every 15 mins for selflies giving you plenty of time to catch up.

Just ask them about the pace and make up your own mind.

As for whether to do it on your bike, again that's up to you. You can do the same ride months or years apart and it is a whole new experience as the roads and land scape change, just as you can come back later with a new bike and it's a whole new experience.

Doing silly speeds on a double demerits weekend, where there could be a cop hiding in the bushes on the exit of any given corner you might as well head down to the RMS and hand your license in.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Do it. You can always turn back after the first day if it's too much.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mick MMick M Whoops forgot to say did Newcastle Sydney this weekend just gone- found getting off the bike with panniers a worry-had visions of having my foot caught up in the straps and swing in the driveway like a bat zapped on the power lines!

It really did take me about 10mins to finally get myself off the bike-admittedly I was tired before I got on my girl to head home...:troll:
  9. Did you have the back suspension adjusted as well?
    Lowering only one end can induce funny handling on some bikes.
  10. Ummm- embarrassed now... I don't know -the kick stand was altered so I have to be uber careful where and how I park her- she seems to handle really well -too my inexperienced bike body... :troll:
  11. Sounds like you know who did the work, so my advice is just to check with them. No such thing as a stupid question.

Badly sorted bikes are not very forgiving when it matters most. After all, it's your "inexperienced bike body" on the line.
    BTW, I'm not trying to scare you.

Personally, I ride a little old commuter bike in a way it was never designed to. She handles a bit funny at the best of times, which makes me no expert at all.
  12. IMO you really need to ride with these people a bit before the big trip to weigh up the situation. This will probably not be popular to say but riding with a group you are not comfortable with is a bad idea.
    Not all experienced riders are hardcore and demanding, but some are.

We had a noob with us on my last tour. It meant waiting a couple of minutes at every critical junction but that was no problem for this group. By the end of the trip we didn't have to wait coz he was keeping up no problem.

Only way to find out if you can do the distance is to give it a go, but don't expect to be ride fit without building up to it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ^^very good advice.
  14. I am seeing a pattern to the advice. Probably means it's good

Either that or everyone is out to get you.
  15. I travel the Oxley frequently from Sydney, making a 3 day weekend of it.

If you want to come beforehand, let me know and I'll arrange it. I only work half the year so plenty of time for me to do it.

It is an easy ride, and if the group are decent people, they will wait for you as needed without a complaint. I regularly take L/P riders up there for a weekend, did so twice in the past couple of months, and another for the L/P guys down to the Snowy region.
  16. im a fraction too short and inflexable to get on/off my dr650 gracefully so i actually leave the stand down and use the pegs to get on and off. Friend suggested it to me and so far so good.
    Might be a solution with throwing a leg over the panniers
  17. Definitely try to do some longer trips prior, with your group, or with Tweet ((y))
    If they are prepared to assign someone to accompany you, that would be a good sign.