Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

44,347km around Australia...

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Sly-Fox, Oct 10, 2007.

1. 44,347km around Australia taking in all the extremities. Most northerly point, easterly, southerly, westerly and also the geographic centre.

Now it's all finished, and I want to go back round again. Shame the bank account doesn't feel the same way really! :grin:

www.arseaboutface.com or http://arseaboutface.blogspot.com for the latest blog entry and pictures.

If you really fancy a laugh i've put some videos up at http://www.youtube.com/arseaboutfacedotcom as well :grin:
  2. Great site, top effort

Congrats on finishing the adventure

So your D605 lasted from Alice to Perth? I wont get to 2,000kms on mine :cry:
  3. Great site, and fabulous writing style, you have a definite talent!
  4. Was a great trip Christian, I had been watching it for a while since you posted about it on ADV.

Hard act to follow, what are you going to do now.
  5. Top effort, mate! :applause:
  6. Complain about how the trip is now over :grin: Think I'll have to go home (at least for a while), the bank manager wants to have a few words. :p

I'll be plotting the next trip though, I think I'd like to have a look round the UK, even that will only take a couple of hours. :grin:

Have tp admit I found the D605 to be a bit crap (in terms of wear), the Trailwings I used to use lasted much longer.

Feel free to go and dig up my old ones, the coordinates are on the blog. :D
  7. mmmm Trailwings, not as aggressive, but I'll check 'em out.

And saw the blog re the tyres near Alice :p
  8. I read about the cache but it would take me all day to get there, so maybe not.
  9. Excellent work - well done, mate!
  10. that is totally amazing-- one day i too hope to do something like that-- your an inspiration :grin: :cool:
  11. Cheers chaps, glad it all went down well. Can't get used to this sitting around working malarky, think I might go for a quick ride...just a short one... :grin:
  12. WOW aewsome trip, I am sooo jealous. When I get my Weestrom I hope to one day do something like this. Fantastic, Well done.

PS: I'm not sure what was more scary, the HUGE Spider or the HUGE Wasp! :shock:
  13. good onya mate, what an adventure..... I can only dream and envy the hell outta you! :grin: for now at least!
  14. mate, i havent even gone through the blogs yet, and by jesus i want to do a similar trip!!

Bloody top effort!
  15. What a great adventure! Thanks for telling us about it.

I'd like to hear more about what you thought about the bike, and what you would use if you were to repeat the trip.

I'm also a fairly keen camper off the bike so any thoughts on STUFF?
  16. Loved the bike, although my particular one had been quite badly mistreated before I got hold of it. (ex-rental machine) Which led to a few problems that wouldn't have developed otherwise. Apart from that it was rock solid and pretty bullet-proof. It bounced off the scenery nicely, and still kept going; even turning it into a mockup of the Titanic (i.e laying it down under water) didn't kill it off. Although it didn't like it much that's for certain.

Was slightly under-powered for long stretches of highway, but that's to be expected as it was never built with that in mind; I'd also add a screen if I did the same trip again, as at high speeds you cop a face full of wind.

Camping wise, you've probably heard this before but you really don't need half the stuff you think you do. Actually there's a video up at http://www.youtube.com/arseaboutfacedotcom showing you round an average campsite. I was still hauling crap (mostly clothes) around with me towards the end, that I'd never used. (although it was definately better than the beginning!)