Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

400 VFR Gearing for Broadford?

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by RedNinja, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hi all,

Need a little help, doing up a VFR400 for the track and am unsure what sprocket ratio and sprockets to use for Broadford?

Am going to use a 520 chain. Used to run a 14 tooth front and a 48 tooth rear on my CBR250 which was good. Any ideas if this would be good with a 400?

Any help would be great :)

Thanks RN

2. I hate you.....bastard! How dare you buy another track/race bike. Grrrr....
    :censored:

3. Just beware going down to many teeth on the front can ruin a chain fairly effectively.

4. love you too Cliff ;)

It's not exactly new, have had it for about 4 month and it's a bit ... Well lot neglected by the previous owner. Given the learnings with my 250, in theory if I have the time it should be easy to sort.

Sadly stuff all time. Just want to do a track day again one day...

5. I hear ya! Last one attempted was cancelled due to a terrible accident. Got a whole 4 laps in.

6. I am not 100% sure, but I am currently running 15 front, 40 rear for PI (should have been 14/40 me think). If memory serves me right I came up with the above set up by moving one tooth up for the front and one tooth down for the rear...previous track before PI was Broadford.

So 14 front, 41 rear. However I am new to this gearing stuff so I could be totally wrong.

7. Just curious Phongus are you running a 520 chain and if so what bike is your front sprocket off? These ratios do my head in a bit :s

8. Yeah I'm running the 520 chain...not sure where the sprocket came off. Got the bike with 3 different front and rear sprockets.