Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

40 year old VIRGIN

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by littleal, May 12, 2007.

1. Hi All,
    Iam a 40 year old,who is about to get his "Ls".
    Iv'e found this site while doing research,looking for a suitable bike for me to ride,Mainly for commuting,but i don't want to limt my options,for a chance to escape for a ride & some my time.
    Having said that,Iam a fairly large lump,6ft&120kg.being new to the whole motorcycle seen,i do not know whats what. then this bikes have been suggested zzr,gpx,across,gsx,sr,bandit,magnum25,spada,vtr,hyosung,srv,zeal,virgo.pagasta.
    As for budget that has been not worked yet,as i would like to see my options are.

Thank you in advance for your input& advice

Cheers littleal

2. hey and welcome littleal.

there are others better placed to give you advice, but i thought i'd just say hi anyway....

and you might want to put your location in your profile - makes it easier for people to help

:grin:

3. Hi, not-so-little-al :LOL:

Any 250 is going to struggle with over 120kgs on its back. You're just going to have to do one of two things.

1. Pray that 15 months goes very quickly
    2. Diet.

But do one thing for us anyway; put your state of residence in the profile over there <-------------

cos it helps when answering questions, like, for example, if you're in NSW you can do your Ls and go straight to a bigger bike....

And welcome to Netrider :).

4. 3. Buy a trail bike! Throw some road tyres and a windscreen on it, and you have a formidable commuter, and something that might just be fun!
    (2 is a silly option! :LOL: )

Regards, Andrew.

5. Ok, so you're in Newcastle. Pop round to the RTA and ask them about motorcycles licensing for the over 40's, or check the web-site. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Then go do your learning in King Edward Park; the ftd is around 46 seconds :LOL:.

6. Ahhh, LAMS!
    Get a Z 650.

Regards, Andrew.

7. thanks Hornet600,with that in mind do you have ideas on what bikes would suit???????????

PS diet whats that :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I thiught trail bike with road tyres has some merit!!!!!

Cheers Littleal

8. GS500 is a good lams approved bike for a daily road rider. If you have offroad plans like dualsport touring then most of the 650 chookies are good. There's some things that you'd expect to be able to ride and cant, adn things that you wouldnt expect but can.

Well worth hunting the NSW DOT website to see the list.

Welcome aboard.

9. Me same, but I'm just 10 years younger.
    Mature learner riders(over 30years) don't have waiting period of 3 months after passing L and we will be unrestricted after passing P test.

10. as much as i hate spewzuki, the sv650 comes in a LAMs package and is quite accommodating for generously portioned gents :)