Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

4-stroke 250cc road trail for learners?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by gunnin' it, Dec 31, 2005.

1. hi peeps would a 250cc traillie eg honda xr250 etc be suitable for a learner?? I'd be riding it exclusively on the road once i get my licence, although im thinking of geting it a few months earlier so that i can learn the basics ridin about in a paddock etc

Would such a bike be a good option?? Ive heard that tyre life is shocking on these bikes when ridden on the road. Good idea? or would a fully road-orientated weapon be the go?

thanx

2. Yeah tyre life is shocking, with the nobbies I get about 2000kms max with a rear on the TT, but if most of your riding is going to be on the road, you can get tyres more suited to bitumen which will last longer.

Depending on what state your in you might be able to jump straight on an XR650 or similar...

3. yeah im in nsw so i could go straight to a big bore but im not sure if the power will be too much too handle. for sum reason i have got the impression that even a 650cc traillie aint anywhere near as powerful as a road bike of similar capacity. please tell me if im wrong!!but yer id prolly go for sum road-orientated tyres

4. The difference in power comes from the engine layout.

The single cylinder engines all have fairly unintimidating hp delivery. It's not true that a 650cc traillie is less powerfull- a single cylinder is less powerfull, whether road or trail.

Advantages- Great torque, light weight, low maintenance, agile handling

Disadvantages- Vibration from engine limits touring ability,

Harder to ride at low speed (large single cyclinder engines are very lumpy at low revs)- Probally not good for absolute begginers- relatively easy to stall, need to slip the clutch at times etc..

Personally I love singles, they rock. I only ride road bikes though, so I'm not sure about traillies- the off-road gearing will limit speed and may not be too comfortable on the road.

5. get a honda XR250

6. personall I hate singles for lots of the reasons listed above. Worst of all about them is seeing someone waiting at the lights on one. Looks conpletely arse backwards to me to be riding something with that sort of geometry and suspension arrangement on the road when dedicated road bikes are available.

7. Tailus how many big singles have you actually owned and ridden?

It is true that they are different... but they can be lots of fun in the right environment too.

A sporty big single in tight twisties is a great fun machine and off road nothing is more capable (paris dakar racing isn't really off road... it's on tracks... and for fast dirt tracks if you are _really_ good a big twin can be quicker).

8. Just a quick question...

If you're planning on riding it exclusively on the road, why would you prefer a road/trail bike instead of a road bike?

9. The XR250 is a great machine, but not for your purposes.

I rode mine to Melbourne for christmas. After I got back, the rear tyre was noticably balder. It's been about 3,500 km but it's now overdue for replacement. Obviously I'm using fully aggressive (soft compound) knobbies.

Dirtbikes are just not as comfortable on the road especially highway riding and/or long trips. Flat seat, no farings, tall .. I get buffeted around on the highway a fair bit, and get home with a sore backside.

But I can live with that .. I ride XRs because my backyard is full of awesome dirt trails and I like getting muddy.

Get a road bike if you're going to exclusively use it on the road.

Regardless of what type of bike you get I would recommend you take advantage of your laws and skip the 250s - they're a little sluggish especially if you do any highway riding. Also you'll not have to upgrade when you yearn for more power.
    Does NSW not have any kind of power restriction for learners or something?

If you have fear and self discipline you shouldn't have any trouble with a larger capacity bike.

10. Eberbachl...

basically just because i want to buy the bike earlier and learn to ride off-road first, so that i know the basics. Or is that silly-is it to much of a compromise?

would i be better off just buying a road bike when i get my L's?? im just thinking that id like a traillie anyway tho...

quick question: would it be at all possible to attatch throwover soft panniers for the occasional camping trip/weekend on a dirt bike?? ive never seen it done before....

11. thanx raymo

12. If that's your only reason for wanting a road/trail bike, I'd get a road bike, and invest in some rider training.

Then, if you like you can do some car park practice, and quiet back roads before getting out on the highway.

But, to me - an XR250 - whilst it's a great bike, is too much of a compromise for pure road use if the only reason for getting it is to practice in a paddock before getting your license.

;)

13. You could buy a 650 road-trail bike and fit it with dual purpose tyres... these will last fine on the road and be ok for moderate paddock type or track off roading.

I would suggest a more road orientated trail bike (since you are going to be doing mostly road riding).

Something like the Suzuki DR650 may suit, these will comfortably cruise at 110k on the highway all day and with road trail tyres you will get similar kms out of a set of tyres as most road bikes.

This is all assuming of course that you intend to buy a road/trail.

You can easily fit something like a DR650 with an aftermarket rack and a fairly sizable bag and use soft throw over panniers as well.

Many dirt riders ignore them because they aren't hard core dirt bikes... but for your purposes that is actually a good thing.

Honda make a couple of 650's and the XR650L would do the same job... but it's substantially more expensive than the DR650 and has a higher seat.

Yes it is better off road... but that isn't the point... the DR650 is better _on_ road.