Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

4 into 1 vs 4 into 2 Exhaust

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Farab, Aug 29, 2008.

1. What's the advantage, if any (apart from saving space & weight) to having a 4 into 1 vs a 4 into 2 exhaust system?
    Just thinking along those lines (4 into1) for mods, at a later stage, on my Hornet 9.

I would think that a 4 into 2 will give better performance, due to better flow, so the only advantage would indeed be space and weight?

2. 4:1 is cheaper.
  3. the 1098 which is one of the lightest super bikes has dual cans. im sure it cant make THAT much of a difference, especially if you get carbon fibre ones. they look better too :wink:
  4. It's too early in the morning for me to be thinking about exhaust physics - especially when muffler/exhaust physics is 50% science and 50% black magic. ;)

I think it's important to note for the sake of pedanticism that the Hornet 900 is actually a 4-1-2 system (not 4-2). In terms of exhaust scavenging the exhaust should be acting like any other 4-1 system.

So, the tail end of the system where the mufflers are - two mufflers versus one muffler.

Ultimately it probably comes down to the aesthetics and 'packaging' (ie: Fitting the damn things somewhere on the bike) of two smaller mufflers vs one huge one (compare Speed Triple 1050 mufflers with Tiger 1050 GIANT MUFFLER OF DOOM). You can make a single muffler flow high volumes of gas just fine, no worries at all. Or two small ones can do the same job, maybe make a different sound and look sexier. They would be looking to design the twin system to handle approximately the same 'rate of flow' and volume of exhaust gas.