Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD 3rd Party Fire & Theft Insurance - 91 CBR250RR, Who?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by pengo, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi

After getting cover with AAMI then later finding out my 1991 CBR250RR is not covered by AAMI, I'm in the need of finding an insurance company that will cover it.

I was told by AAMI to call Shannons or Insuremyride but shannons only has comprehensive and furthermore the bike does not qualify for coverage.

Insuremyride's online quote tool does not recognise the bike until it was released in Australia (so no 1991 Honda CBR250RR listed). I have been told previously they can override this and this is what I called AAMI today to do as I noticed on the policy certificate it had the wrong year (only to find they can't override it and its not covered).

Anyway - who has owned a 1991 Honda CBR250RR and which insurance company did you go with to get it covered?

nb: I'm going to do the call around for the usual suspects (nrma, racq, insuremyride, swann, qbe), tho would still like to know which insurers people have been with previously.

2. IMR will cover grey imports. Your model is listed online, but it's a bit hard to find. IMR list grey imports under the manufacturer's name in the bike models section. Select 1991, then Honda, then HONDA from the drop down list of individual models.
  3. Thanks works! :)

After calling around only InsureMyRide (IMR) and NRMA will touch the bike. Unfortunately I've had a bit of bad luck, I've had 3 claims on file in the last 5 years. I was only at fault once, the other 2 times the at fault party could not be determined. So NRMA is the only one that will cover me, again unfortunately no theft insurance on bikes. So I better hope my bike doesn't get stolen since only IMR covers theft but won't cover me due to my history!

Here are my results:

1991 Honda CBR250RR

Annual Insurance

NRMA: 3rd party property damage 139.17, No theft on bikes.

Insuremyride: Only separate policies offered; 3rd party property damage: 96.58, Theft: 219.49, Total: 316.07. Full Comp: 324.60 (LOL) - BUT not covered due to 3 claims on file in the last 3 years.

Suncorp: Not available for 1991, only from 1996. FYI if you nominate Suncorp as CTP its counts as a policy so you would at least have 2 polices with them e.g. bike + ctp and you are entitled to 15% discount.

AAMI: Not covered

Shannons: Not covered

Allianz: No insurance for motorcycles.

Swann: Not available for bikes 20 years+

RACQ: Not available for cbr250rr.
  4. This is why you don't buy a grey.

Have you tried Western QBE or Famous.
  5. Thanks forgot about QBE didn't know about Famous! Will check em out.

QBE is a ripoff for 3rd party property and theft at $714. Or since I have rating 1 on a car policy they will do comprehensive on the bike for $564. Tho I'm not really interested in such insurance on such an old bike and a lams bike at that.

Rider (me) is not covered due to claim history.
  6. Tried calling Avea?