Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

News 360Fly – The Action Camera That Could Improve Motorcycle Safety

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Jun 24, 2015.

1. #1 NetriderBot, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
    Everybody wants in on the action camera game which is dominated by GoPro. Many try and many fail. But a new action camera called the 360Fly may prove to be GoPro’s biggest challenge yet. The tennis ball sized and shaped device shoots 360 degree videos which you can watch and manipulate on the fly – but it’s also got some amazing software inside that could prove invaluable for motorcycle riders.

The device is backed by Peter Adderton, the founder of the prepaid wireless network Boost Mobile (which he has since sold) so this is no small independent outfit. It was reported that 360Fly paid Australian motocross and supercross racer Chad Reed $500,000 to use their camera for publicity.

The camera features a single lens that looks in all directions – it captures 360 degrees of horizontal footage and 240 degrees vertically at a resolution of 1,504 x 1,504 at 30 fps. Looking at the videos, they’re obviously highly impressive in that you can playback the recordings and rotate the view as you wish, but video quality is subpar in comparison to current normal action cameras.

That said, the device will cost only $399 at launch which considering the technology is fairly impressive. The company is reportedly already working on second and third generation models to vastly improve image quality, resolution and frame rate. But it’s the safety applications that are interesting.

In an interview with Mashable, Adderton stated that “We’re working with some of the helmet manufacturers to literally have you riding down the road and the camera is gonna literally look at a red light. It will look at the green light and it will look at the cars coming on the right hand side and it will quickly determine that car’s not slowing down — we should give you a warning.”

That’s just one example and the possibilities for this are almost endless. In fact, just from the point of view of riders having evidence of their innocence in vehicle accidents the 360Fly could prove invaluable. For a rider to truly cover themselves they would have to have an action camera pointed forwards, backwards and to both sides. But the 360Fly covers everything all at once – as long as you’re okay with wearing a black sphere on your head.

The 360Fly will hit stores in August and can be preorderd now on their website.

360fly-150x150. 360fly_CameraProduct4_grande-150x150. 360fly_CameraProduct1_grande-150x150. 360fly_CameraProduct3_grande-150x150.

Continue reading...

2. Looks like a cool device, it might even double as a disco ball too!

While I like my Ghost-S, I do think something like this would be good for redundancy as the Ghost tends to eat full sim cards worth of recording from time-to-time.

3. it looks interesting and would be great for motorcyclists.

I am a bit unsure though, does it record full 360, then you swipe to change the angle of the recording that you're watching, or does the camera have a servo that moves the lens as it's recording (allowing you to select what you record)?

The reason that I ask is that if it captures full 360, a rider will be able to wear one on their helmet and capture absolutely everything that happens around them, whereas if it's just an adjustable lense angle it doesn't really fix anything

4. In the promo clip on the site, you can see that it's recording full 360. You can then move around the scene however you like during editing, playback etc. So basically, you get everything! Great bit of kit but a shame it looks so ungainly....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. To be honest, GoPro's look pretty ridiculous too but everyone's just used to them now. At least this looks kinda futuristic, like you've got a spy installation on your head.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Take a look at the site here:

https://360fly.com/videos/

They're completely interactive, so its recording everything all at once.

7. Agreed. But I'd be more likely to mount my GoPro on the bike, rather than on the helmet.

As a paraglider pilot, I had it either on a chest harness or in a 'helmet front mount' rather than on top of the helmet. Mounted lower meant it was far less likely to get snagged in lines and either get ripped off or contribute to you having your head ripped off by the helmet strap.

Subsequently, I'm psychologically predisposed against things sticking out of the top of my head but, admittedly, mounting the 360 anywhere else would make no sense whatsoever. Just have to get used to the look - it IS for safety after all. No way would anyone use it to simultaneously view twisties coming up rapidly, trees and guideposts flashing past, and overtaken bikes disappearing behind you...;)

But I do like the spy installation analogy...!

8. More pointless rubbish to distract from the base goal of being an empowered conscientious rider. I'm excited!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks for that, clarifies everything for me.

Looks like a great idea - i might look more seriously at it when the next generation is out

10. Great concept. Gives a great idea of what's going on. Skydiving, bungee jumping, other extreme sports but for road bikes, the main thing that concerns me is the 1,504 x 1,504 resolution. Sounds impressive until you realise that's covering 360°, so it would be interesting to see how it goes at recognising a numberplate from one angle or what the resolution shrinks down to - which is where I really see it's value.

11. Good point - do you think that resolution is spread throughout the full 360 degrees or is based on the viewable area?

It could be referring to the resolution of the camera, with the lens allowing for the 360 degree field of view