Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

300 2 smoker

Discussion in 'Adventure/Enduro' at netrider.net.au started by norafugengixer, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi guys.

I'm looking at getting back into trail riding after a three year break.

After owning 2 and 4 stroke hondas and yamahas i'm going to buy a 300 (maybe 250) 2 stroke.

I'm looking at either a Gas Gas EC, KTM EXC or Husqvarna WR. (also husaberg)

I like the Gas Gas as i could buy new where as the Kato's and bergs are getting out of reach and would prob buy 2nd hand.

Has anyone owned, currently own or knows someone whos owns one of these bikes? I'm just chasing a bit of first hand experience when it comes to durability, relyability and maintenance costs. Has anyone had experience with the Marzochi forks on the Gassers, Or the WP's on the Kato's?

I'm a mechanic by trade and currently carrying out a fitter and turner's apprenticeship so would be doing all labour to the bike.

Cheers,
    Jez

2. probably better to hunt through a dirt/cross specific forum like dirtbikeworld

3. I've got an '05 KTM 250 EXC, my brother has a '09 300 EXC. A few of my riding group have '08-'11 300 EXCs and one rides an '01 (from memory). I'd suggest the KTMs purely for availability of parts, the others are a little more exotic and harder to get parts for. Reliability it is hard to go wrong with the 300s, they hold up extremely well to all sorts of punishment. For trail riding you'll get away with rebuilds every couple of years, if you're doing enduros then you may want to freshen the rings annually and decide on the piston, etc once you're in there. You'll have no problems doing rebuilds yourself, I usually allow a few hours for a top end, beers included. The countershaft seals go occasionally, which can be replaced from the outside, quick and easy job.

If you havent ridden one in a few years you will be shocked by the current generation of 300s. They have a very linear power curve, with huge torque down the bottom through to a screaming top end. The power under the curve is phenomenal, which makes them both easy to ride, but a weapon in the right hands. I actually find them a bit too linear and would prefer to set one up with a bit of a punch in the mid-range. This is possible by adjusting the powervalve spring. There is also different ignition settings to alter the power delivery, but personally I havent found a great deal of difference in the settings.

The suspension is good on the KTMs. They're reasonable from the box, but a bit of setting up can make them very capable. A professional revalving and setup can help in this area, but unless you're racing you're probably not going to need it. Servicing is fairly irregular and therefore not much of a cost. The bush and bolt in the swingarm needs changing probably yearly if you're doing lots of log/rock hopping.

Not much else is popping into my mind for maintenance. Other than the usual servicing, gear oil, air filter, brake pads, etc. Wheel bearings get the flick every season or so, but another 10 min job.

They're a great ride!

4. i wish they still made the 2t road bikes (honda, aprilia etc.)
    Cannot understand why they don't make at least a few models.
    The future must be two stroke driven!
    powerful, light, cheap, simple. 2t technology has come a long way.

Slightly off topic, old 250's are getting cheap if you could find one in decent nick.

But check out Maico's new range. (Just for eye candy) Expensive no doubt, but they go up to 700cc 2t in a 100kg bike (80hp)
    drag off an R1!

5. Cheers for the repy's guys. Might give the Maico's a miss, however thanks Richee for your first hand info.

6. how long do you wamt to keep it,
    ktm is the only bike on that list with a decent resale value,
    i know bike shops that wont do trade in's on the euro bikes as they just cant get rid of them. they are performance bikes... so those in the market for them want the latest and greatest one. also limited part support

7. Just re-read my reply and thought I should clarify something. It is the bush and bolt for where the shock attaches to the swingarm which can get a bit of play in a fairly short amount of time. They can require pressing out if they're a bit seized, but usually a hammer and punch does the job. The actually swingarm pivot bushes are reliable.

Cheers
    Rich

8. As for how long i keep it i'm not really sure.

I'm not normally the person to update every year. Just be happy to maintain the bike as close to new as reasonably possible.

I hear what your saying as my wallet wants a Kato but they're all so hard to resist. Some of the gassers have Ohlins rear which i really appreciate from my road racing experience. As for what it would do on the dirt i'm not sure as i'm probably a novice rider.

9. Personally I would not suggest going for one bike over the other based on the suspension for a dirtbike. None of the bikes you have listed are complete pigs for suspension and are all rather close to each other really. I've ridden plenty of 'Bergs, BMWs and some Huskis and suspension-wise they can fairly easily be set up to what you want. If you're keen on getting things perfect then a professional revalve/respring and setup will do the trick and should get it closer to your preference than any of the factories. Considering you're ranking yourself as a novice, then you're not going to be pushing the limits of any of these bike's suspension for a while.

As for updating, most of the guys I ride with update every 3-4 years or so. That gives you a pretty fresh bike that will have very few issues in the time that you have it. Updating any more frequently than that will mean you take a big depreciation hit from new and dont get down to the prices where they pretty much hover. A two year old bike and a four year old bike dont really have a huge price delta if both have been well maintained. If you like keeping it looking fresh, then a suggestion is to avoid changing the plastics or anything external until you're about to sell it. If you put fresh plastics/graphics on it, you're sure as anything to drop your bike the next ride!

Good luck on deciding what to get. I'm sure you'll have a heap of fun.

10. All Lies.

11. Which bits?

12. one of the guys i ride with,
    buys aftermarket plastic kits as soon as he gets the bike,
    off come the originals, on go the cheap stuff....
    so when he sells it, it has mint conditon original plastics ($$$$ if you need to replace a genuine panel, all most as much as a comlete aftermarket kit)
    makes it look less trashed and molested with original stuff, rather then aftermarket with a race or look at me sticker kit.
    to me this seems like a very, smart move. only ive never bought a new bike.... so no point in me doing it.

• Agree Agree x 1