Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

30,000km service and reducing the cost

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by blue_muppet, Jul 9, 2006.

1. I’m about to book my little bandit in for a much needed service. She is about to hit the 30,000km mark so I thought it would be high time for a full carby tune ect. Not to mention that it’s been running horribly since I had an off about 3 months ago (It took nearly 2 months to fix so I haven’t had it back that long).

Being a poor ass student I’m always looking to save some money. I’m not totally mechanically inept so I was thinking of draining and changing the oil, new filters (oil, fuel, air) and bleeding the brakes myself.

I was quoted about $220 for a 30k service (not including a brake bleed) so am I really going to be saving that much money if I do the above maintenance myself?

While I’m at it, I’ve got a few scrapes on the frame and the tank which I would like to fix up. Nothing fancy, I just intend on sanding it back a little and then painting over it with some rust protecting paint. Luckily my bike is black so I don’t really have to worry about getting the exact colour match.

What would be the best paint to use in this scenario? Get some mixed up that is exactly my colour or will some off the shelve stuff do? Touch up paint or rust protection? I'll put some pictures up tomorrow of the areas I need to fix.

Thanks in advance everybody.
  2. 220 is a good price, but it might need a few things on top of that... i mean, you probably won't save *that* much

i always enjoyed working on the bike myself, so you get to know it better and you get a feel for how to get it running nicely etc.