Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

3 points for talking on the mobile!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Johnny O, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Hey Guy's,

A friend of mine just got busted for using a mobile phone while driving, they'd only just pulled out of a drive-way and was about to hang-up..... 3 points later!

2. i know people who have been booked while ina stationary car....... if the engine is running technically you are still in control of a vehicle and therefore illegal to chat on the talky box.

If i pull over to answer a call i will actually take the keys out of the ignition just to be safe..... some really nice coppers up our way apparently.
  3. Bluetooth earpieces are as cheap as chips these days, no excuse for getting booked, ever.........
  4. except if your phone doesn't have blue tooth. :)

i just wait till i get to my destination to check the calls or pull over if it's safe.

It's works phone but no hands free and i don't feel like buying one for works benefit.
  5. I think the bluetooth was playing-up, they generally use it. Doesn't your phone have to be bluetooth applicable? Maybe the 'chips' aren't so cheap..... a lot cheaper than fines I guess.
  6. Jeez, what's wrong with teh "old school" cable attachments to teh phone? I always use one, they work great and never play up.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. If he was that close to home, why couldn't he have waited that few moments longer before pulling out?

Sorry, but I see too many idiots weaving on the roads while talking, and handsfree makes very little difference. I have a no-tolerance stand on it.
  8. Spot on. I have three various bluetooth headsets consigned to the 'hate the bastard', useless junk drawer. The old cable one is bulletproof however.
  9. just thinking about the handsfree scenario, does the plod book people for being on these at all?
    Is it the actual conversation which leads to lapses in concentration while driving, or the fact that you've got to hold a phone to your ear when not using hands free which is the main problem?
    sorry if that's not clear...
  10. The University of Utah researchers conducted studies and published them in the journal Human Factors. They revealed some interesting points of comparison between those who use mobile phones while driving and drivers impaired by alcohol.

People, who talk on cell phones while driving, even if using hands-free devices, are as impaired as drunken drivers, researchers said.

"If legislators really want to address driver distraction, then they should consider outlawing cell phone use while driving," said Frank Drews, an assistant professor of psychology at the University of Utah, who worked on the study.

Researchers were able to conduct their research by using a driving simulation device their finding can be found in the summer 2006 issue of Human Factors: The Journal of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society.

There were 40 volunteers who participated in this study. They used a driving simulator four times while undistracted, using a handheld cell phone, using a hands-free cell phone and while intoxicated to a 0.08% blood-alcohol level which is the average legal level of impairment in the U.S. after drinking vodka and orange juice.

Three study participants rear-ended the simulated car in front of them. All were talking on cell phones and none was drunk, the researchers said. Motorists who talked on either handheld or hands-free cell phones drove slightly more slowly, were 9% slower to hit the brakes, and varied their speed more than undistracted drivers.

Drivers with a 0.08% blood-alcohol level drove a bit more slowly than both undistracted drivers and telephone users, yet more aggressively.

"Driving while talking on a cell phone is as bad as or maybe worse than driving drunk," said Drews. Alcohol was involved in 40% of the 42,000 annual U.S. traffic fatalities, he said.

Researchers found that like many people who have been drinking, the cell phone users did not believe themselves to be affected.

11. Xoraak, I do believe your right for most parts at least, it is the talking, but they think it's going to happen anyway (and whats the point of being mobile if you cant use it) so might as well make them be able to be in control of the car with both their hands.
  12. I gotta say I'm with 'em on this one Johnny.

Coming out of a driveway I guess the timing is unfoortunate... But didn't Max just back over Katja in the same situation in Neighbours a couple weeks ago? :grin:

If there was a mobile phone use while driving hotline (like there is for littering) I'd be making three calls a day to it. It's a pet hate of mine.
  13. I'm with Loz, its also a pet hate of mine.

Everyone know not to talk whilst driving so anyone who does fully deserves the fine/points.
  14. Hey don't get me wrong here guys, I don't condone using the mobile when driving, even though I've done it on the odd occassion (but then I've been know to creep a little over the speed limit from time to time also). I was just surprised to find out it was 3 points for the offence; just letting everyone know :)
  15. It doesn't matter whether you, speed, use a mobile, drive over .05, don't stop at 'stop' signs or what ever, it is against our laws so you have to accept the penalties regardless of whether it was dangerous or safe to do so at the time.
  16. All but the poverty pack (Omega will be $340 option) new VE Commodores will have Bluetooth enabled radios fitted which will help if you have a bluetooth phone, one of my work mates was commenting this morning you should never use something that could bite you (Blue TOOTH) :roll:

If they want to do something about driver distractions then maybe they should do something about the new David Jones Megan Gale poster on the Tulla :shock:
  17. It's a silly situation. Most people don't have teh brain power to figure out when it's safe or not to talk on the phone in the car.
    Personally, I NEVER do it anywhere that wil be high concentration, like going somwhere new, moderate high volume traffic, etc.
    There are times when I personally think it's fine, mainly when driver's workload is low.
    However, most people just yak away like it's a god given right.
    I should add I've seen more than one driver all over the place because they were talking to someone IN THE CAR.
    So, do we ban passengers too?
    Banning something is merely a bandaid, again, education is what should be done. Teach people to do it safely. It can be done.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. I guess the idea of three points is to discourage people from doing it.

But that's one of the easiest three points to avoid getting: Don't touch the thing while you're driving!

No sympathy from this motorcyclist!
  19. Here, here..... what he said :)
  20. I've been tempted on many an occasion to grab the phone from someone's ear and hurl it into traffic.
    Buuuttt....maybe that 's just me :-w