Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

3 months storage

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by gegvasco, Apr 11, 2005.

1. I have done a forum search for tips on storing a bike but they all talk about "years'. I will need to put my bike away for 3-4 months while I'm away so I'm wondering how many of the 3 year storage tips apply to 3 months storage. The areas I was particularly interested in are:
    1. Tyres. I only have the one rear bike stand and no centre stand so unless I jury rig something, at least one tyre will have weight on it. Is 3 months long enough to cause warping?
    2. Battery. If I disconnect the battery, is it likely to last for 3 months without trickle charging?
    3. Fluids. Do I need to drain anything?
    4. Carbies. Will 3 months inactivity foul them up.
    5. Chain. Given the bike will be under a proper bike cover, but under a carport, do I need to coat the chain with anything special just before storage to prevent rust? Or will a fresh coat of spray lube do the job?

2. Do a google search on "winterizing your bike"
    The Yanks have it down to a fine art on storing their bikes for months during their winter.