Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

3 little mistakes

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by samks, Nov 2, 2007.

1. I just wanted to give tell you all a little story….

My bike is stored out side as I am garageley challenged at the moment, and as any of the south east Queenslanders may be aware we have had a tad of rain in the last week or two. And how my bike sits out in the back garden under a waterproof bike cover, snug as a bug in a bike cover. So with all this rain the ground got drenched and the side stand that was sitting on a coke can sunk into the ground, bike laid down on the left hand side and the first I knew about it was on Tuesday morning when I went to put some rubbish in the bin. So I picked the bike up and got a piece off wood to replace the coke can that was now about 10cm under ground. No real damage to the bike just oil all over the side.

Now not wanting to hydraulic lock the engine that might have been on it’s side up to 4 days I figured I’d come back to it and pop plugs out and clean every thing up,.

So this afternoon I get home from work early and go out to get back yard, take rear seat, riders seat, rear body work, fuel tank, fuel tank cover, air box and plumbing off. Just to get to the coil packs and spark plugs. I un do spark plugs and then I turn the engine over to get any out out of the cylinders. BUT I made THTEE small mistakes.

1. I stand over the bike as I go to start the bike. (something pretty innocent really)

2. I leave spark plugs sitting on top of the thread they screw into. So one spark plug go’s flying past my head across the yard, thankfully missing me.

3. I don’t put a rag over the spark plug holes so I get covered in oil. Not to bad, ruin a nice t-shirt and my comfiest shorts. No real biggy….BUT I’m parked right next to the house so the side of the house has a peppering of oil all over it. Even on the guttering!

So I spend 2 hours cleaning, 4-5 buckets of real hot water with washing up liquid and 6 cans of carby cleaner later and the out side of the house is clean. Unfortunately I am moving out in 3 weeks and the house was freshly painted when we moved in so it has to be spotless.

2. ok, do you think you could just make it a alittle simpler for the dummies and just say what you were trying to do and what not to do as I don't get it :)

3. If you don't understand what samks said, and your bike has been sitting on it's side for an unknown amount of time, get it taken to a mechanic... simple really :wink:

4. :LOL: Although if I'd been trying to do the same thing myself I probably would have done at least two of those ;).

5. Lol nice job mate hahahahaha! :LOL:
    Oh that gave me a kick, ive done something similar on a truck.
    We were working on this bucket and as they do, the w@nkers with the pressure cleaner blew the wires off the engine oil temp receiver and buggered the receiver so we had to put in a new one. As you do you remove the old one to go over to the phone and order a new one from cummins. Walking back over the w@nker who pressure cleaned it is sitting the the cab, and i yell "mate what are you doing".

Old mate starts the truck and sends oil pissing out of this hole in the engine where the reciever was and all over me! F@#KER!

6. Now for greater enjoyment, please read the OP with this playing in the background

:rofl:

7. heh heh. been there done that :LOL:

cept it was my sons barina that he had FILLED, yes, FILLED with oil. So I drained the sump and took the plugs out, and stood him in front of it while I cranked her over :wink: *I* knew what was going to happen, but he had no idea. Still, I didnt expect it to shoot 12 foot up into the jacaranda tree.

I think we both learnt a lesson that day :eek:

kudos to you for being aware of the hydraulic lock in the first place.

cheers
    ian

8. BAHAHAHA

9. Think yourself lucky.

When turning engines over with the plugs out but resting next to their holes, and with the ignition on, I've had the fuel air mixture, blowing from the plug holes, ignite and produce an incredibly hot jet of flame 2 m high.

Boil in the bag :LOL: .

10. Know the feeling, had the same happen with a testbed engine at the tafe I was doing a course at. playing with the throttle butterfly while reaching over the intake (no air cleaner). Singed the hairs right off my arm when it backfired, nice three foot flame.

And almost ended up with an eye full of coolant when I was diagnosis-cranking a friend's ford with the spark plugs out, its amazing how far a spout shoots out of a spark plug hole. at least coolant is easy to clean.

11. So.... for someone having no idea what a "hydraulic lock" is...

Is that what happens if a cylinder fills up with liquid so when the piston tried to rise in the cylinder it has nowhere to go so it locks up the engine?

...or something along those lines? :?

12. yep, you got it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_lock

13. yep, got it in one. but the thing that gives is the con rod. not a cheap or quick fix.

14. ROFL... I pictured it all happening in fast motion to the music... I lost it... LOL :LOL:

15. patb wrote
    ha ha! ive done that

samks ! i was ready to read that you tore the threads on the way back in with the spark plug

you managed 3 mistakes before then so, you know, bad luck comes in threes

cheers :cool:

16. a much simpler way to check it is to put it on a stand, stick in in top gear and turn the back wheel by hand. If it stops very suddenly you have a problem and can spend the time taking the plugs out etc; otherwise it'll turn over a few times and then you can be sure of not breaking something when you start it. Saves a lot of time and house paint!

17. LMAO! :LOL:

18. this is brilliant! i found my original stupidity funny but this just makes it better.