Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

3 days with a Bandit

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by 2ndclasscitizen, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I've had my Bandit for 3 days, and now that I've had a chance to take it for a good ride, I thought I'd give a bit of a write up about it. It's an Aussie import 2000 GSF250V.

I reeeeeeeeeeeally like it. It's so much better than the old dunger GPX.

Handling: It's a really nice handling bike. I haven't really had any nasty surprises at all, which is nice. One I had was on a large radius hairpin bend when the front wheel started washing out a bit, though, to be honest, I was probably at the absolute limit i.e about scrape pegs/sliders and drop a knee. I got to the other later. The handling is brilliant, feels completely planted and very confidence inspiring. Whereas on my old GPX I was taking fast sweepers at 80kmh absolute max, on this thing I can them at 100kmh+ (I think I hit an indicated 120kmh on one) I hadn't ridden in nearly 6 months when I got this, but I already feel like I'm riding better than ever. However, the downside of this good handling suspension set-up is that it's setup rather stiffly. It's uncomfortable riding around, but it will pick out undulations in the road, and one particularly big bump nearly knocked me off the pegs.

Engine: Below 6k, nothing really. Above 6k it starts move, and that's the range I usually use for riding around town. Once you hit 10k, the exhaust timing changes and it just rips forward. It's just such an angry engine and loves it rev. It's a damn mini-hooligan bike. 1st goes to 60, 2nd to 80 and 3rd about 100kmh. 100 is about ~9k rpm. ~45hp with a 16,000rpm redline.

All in all, it's a damn good bike. I think I'm gonna be a much better rider from this bike than I would've if I'd stayed on the GPX. Much recommended as a first bike, I think especially if you want to stay with 4cyl bikes.

2. Good to hear you're enjoying it Mitch. Just take it easy mate, riding balls out for 3 days after a break of 6 months sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I just missed out on buying a sweet looking Bandit when I was first looking for a bike, I often wonder how it all would've gone.

3. That's the thing, I started out taking easy, was going along at a moderate pace until the end of that road that goes past the turn of to Brindabella rd, but then I just got in the groove of things coming back and the speed just picked up.

Well, from what I've read of the VTR, the Bandit seems to be pretty similar, just minus any torque. Plus, I think you might sit a little lower.

4. Personally I didn't like riding the VTR as much as the bandit! But again I think it's a v-twin vs 4 cyl thing. They are both great learner bikes!

I think the bandit is a fantastic bike and really easy to fling around. I'm like you keep it mostly below 8k when pottering around the city but never let it get below 10K when out having fun!

You're going to have a ball on the bandit!

5. no call for a ride mitch? shame on you :LOL:

good to hear that your finally back out on a bike, is that corner where you started to wash out the one line with rocks as if they are supposed to stop you going over the edge on the brindi road?

6. <3 my bandit its a great little bike and yea i try to keep it between 9-12k rpm when riding coz below 6 is completely useless lol

7. Possibly. It's the big one where you change sides of the ridge to it being on your right as you head own the hill towards the Cotter, leading on to that section where all the pushies always are. Right near where they had those traffic lights when they were fixing the road.

8. nah not the one i was thinking

9. Welcome the the 250cc Bandit club.
    I have had mine for about 3 years and still get plenty of enjoyment from it. But, i am getting the itch to get a larger capacity bike now...